knighty

which card is right for me ?

hi

I've read through the forum a LOT... but there's a hell of a lot of information here and I think I'm just digging myself into a hole (I'm good with PCs, but this stuff is new to me, I've been building/water-cooling pcs for years etc. etc.)

I have a PC based dvr cctv system at work

currently runs 4 cameras, but have more I'd like to add

the system is a 1.7 P4, with 512ddr, 1TB hard drive

I bought they card on eBay (before I found this forum) and I've had non-stop problems with it recently, it was ok at first only running 1 camera... but now it has 4 attached I've had problems... sometimes when the system restarts some cameras will work and some won't.... unplugging the power to the cameras (all of them) and putting it back on sometimes fixes it... or makes no difference at all.... or fixes the 2 cameras that were off, but the 2 that were working then stop working

I want the system to record 24/7 at work, and I've just ordered a dsl connection (1.3mbit upload) so I can check the cameras from home.... the most important thing is... I want to set up motion detection to run between certain hours (when we're closed) and if it picks up motion, I want it to set off an alarm on my home PC.... (could be a bonus to add a modem and have it phone/text my mobile too)

I found this card... Geovision 800 PCI Card and Software

on a reputable website here in the UK... the 4 camera card is £275, the 8 camera card is £500 and the 16 camera card is £540 (can I post links, or is that now allowed?)

I'm on a budget here and £500 is a lot more than I want to spend... but by the time I've bought the 8 camera card, I might as well pay the extra 40 for the 16 camera card and future proof it ?

will this card do what I want ?

100 fps and I only need 10fps so should be fine for 10 cards

will it run ok on a 1.7p4 with 512ram? I can easily add more ram... but if I need a faster cpu I'll need a new m/b ram psu etc. (basically a totally new system)

will it's software let me watch the cams from home?

will it set off an alarm on my home pc when it detects motion ?

will it phone/text my mobile phone ?

also.... does the card do any processing onboard ?

I could buy 2 Geovision 650 4 camera cards cheaper than 1 800 8 camera card...

would this be better or worse ?

thanks again

Alan.

Hi Alan

For what its worth here are my thoughts.

Firstly for 8 camera's I think you should look a little higher than a 1.7 P4, first thing that might upset your plans, secondly having a text or email whenever the motion is triggered sounds like a good idea but can be a problem, would those camera's used for this be inside or out? A windy night in autumn with the leaves falling will see your in-box filling up very quickly with an outside camera.

If the card you settle on has alarm in you can use PIR's for the detection or mag door switches etc.

For the card Geovision are good and will do all you want, but be careful if buying from ebay as most are clones with pirate software.

Another option might be an 8ch WAPA card, I personally like these and sell lots of them every week with few problems. They are not that popular here though, I suspect many where cloned ones or used if the wrong system. Do a search for WAPA or WAVE-P and if you want some info let me know. What it won't do at present is give you a remote view on a mobile or send text's, it does work with firefox and IE plus its own remote software and will send an email on motion. They do allow mixing of cards though so if ever an 8ch system was not enough you could add a 4ch or 8ch card or even the new WAPA IP camera's up to a max of 32ch per system.

Much more basic software than Geovision but I think the price reflex's this.

Hope that is some help for you.

Regards

Chris

SFP SECURITY

also.... does the card do any processing onboard ?

I could buy 2 Geovision 650 4 camera cards cheaper than 1 800 8 camera card...

would this be better or worse ?

thanks again

Alan.

i would stay away from wapa cards. very cheap end of the market. you see them on ebay for £10. keep looking at geovision or avermedia. both cards you can add to when you need more cameras. both have a very good cms software and will do what you need and more.

http://www.avermedia.com/AVerDiGi/Product/Detail.aspx?id=130