Soundy

DynaColor DG208

I've recently been given this neat little DynaColor DG208 DVR... probably because it locks up consistently after about 2 minutes of operation. Anyone familiar with these things know if this is a common problem, and/or if there's a fix?

I've had a DG216 that locked up when the hybrid (IP) channels were activated, but didn't have any IP cameras connected. Check in the system setup and set the IP cameras to "0" and see if that helps.

Don't have any experience with that unit... BUT I've used numerous cheap standalones. I've seen where some don't play nice with certain HDs. Like it would work with a Western Digital but lock up with a perfectly good Maxtor or Seagate.... Doen't make sense...

Also same goes with HD capacities. I had one that would work with anything less than 500gb. Try to go to 750gb and it would freak.

I've also seen a lot of weak power supplies cause system lock ups. With one particular make that was out of warranty, we were actually able to rig up dozens of them to work with standard CPU power supplies. Not sure if your unit has the standard motherboard 20pin molex connector but it may be worth a try...

Thanks... this is actually the original HDD, we replaced it for the original owner because it was locking up after several years of service. If I can sort it out, it will make a handy loaner, or just something to play with. Appears to be VERY well-featured for a standalone... in fact, looks like it's just an embedded PC.

Thanks... this is actually the original HDD, we replaced it for the original owner because it was locking up after several years of service. If I can sort it out, it will make a handy loaner, or just something to play with. Appears to be VERY well-featured for a standalone... in fact, looks like it's just an embedded PC.

i had a a problem just the same with a unit called the levi. would start up run for 2 to 3 mins then shut down. and i found the problem by mistake. but it might be worth a go.

remove all usb cables to the motherboard and start it back up. the problem with the levi was one of the usb ports had shorted out with the owner putting a pen in the wrong way.

Well, I don't see anywhere to configure IP cameras in this one... but interesting thing, it will normally run for the same amount of time before locking up (about 90s from power-up), BUT if I go straight into Menu and then into Database Setup, it locks immediately. Hmmmmmmm...