cglaeser

ExView HAD versus Super HAD

I've been comparing the specifications of Samsung cameras in the catalog at http://www.samsungcctv.com/product/file_data/CTV/CCTV_Total.E1.pdf. Is it possible for an ExView HAD sensor to have better color low light sensitivity than a Super HAD sensor, but the Super HAD sensor to have better B/W low light sensitivity than the ExView HAD sensor? The difference between color and b/W sensitivity of an ExView HAD is typically 10X (e.g. SHC-745 color 0.05 vs b/w 0.006) while the difference between color and b/w sensitivity of a Super HAD is 20x to 30x (e.g. SHC-735 color 0.3 vs b/w 0.01).

I've been considering the Ultra-low light SHC-745 with 1/2" ExView HAD, but the b/w sensitivity is listed at 0.006Lux (50 IRE@F1.2) while the SHC-737 b/w sensitivity is listed at 0.0025Lux (50 IRE@F1.2), more than one stop better. Although the 745 has better color low light performance, if I really want the best b/w low light performance, the specs suggest the 737 is the better choice. Can that be right?

Best,

Christopher

Superhad cant touch an Exview Chip no matter what.

If anything what you are seeing in the specs are probably Faceplate and DSS.

eg. 0.0025Lux (50 IRE@F1.2) has to be 0.025 lux. But if this is a superhad chip then this has to be in DSS or some sens up mode.

But if this is a superhad chip then this has to be in DSS or some sens up mode.

Normally I would think this is DSS, and that may be the case here, but the reason for my question is that Samsung Techwin is usually pretty good about including both IRE and DSS values with minimum illumination specifications. Here are a couple examples:

SHC-745 1/2" ExView HAD

Color : 0.05Lux (50 IRE@F1.2), 0.00019Lux (Sens-up, 256X)

B/W : 0.006Lux (50 IRE@F1.2)

SHC-737 1/3" Super HAD

Color : 0.05Lux (50 IRE@F1.2), 0.0002Lux (Sens-up, 512X)

B/W : 0.0025Lux (50 IRE@F1.2)

SOC-4160 1/3" Super HAD

Color : 0.15Lux (50 IRE@F1.2), 0.0003Lux (Sens-up, 512X)

B/W : 0.001Lux (50 IRE@F1.2)

The SHC-745 1/2" sensor has about twice the area of the SHC-737 1/3" sensor, so that should add one stop alone, not to mention the ExView HAD vs Super HAD difference. Perhaps they are using considerably more gain in the SHC-737 and SOC-4160 and produce a noisier image.

On a related topic, digital cameras have been adding about one stop of sensitivity every year or two. It seems reasonable to assume that Super HAD will continue to improve as well. Both the 737 and 4160 are new cameras and likely use the latest generation of Super HAD and support chips. Is there any information or specifications for the various generations of Super HAD chips over the last decade or so?

Best,

Christopher

More then likely that is all at faceplate, even on the Exviews. I believe their light meters are broken

Here's another very interesting data sheet that has a long list of sensors that includes Super HAD CCD, Super HAD CCD II (noted with a *2), and ExView HAD CCD (noted with a *3). According to this data sheet, the Super HAD CCD II has better sensitivity than both the Super HAD CCD and ExView HAD CCD.

Best,

Christopher