samsung SMT-190DN

Router not recognizing DVR

Hello,

I've installed a Samsung SMT-190DN 4 camera system on my house. Everything is working ok except I have not been able to have any luck getting my router to recognize my system, at all....been trying for two days.

I have called my service provider (att u-verse - Model # 3800 HGV-B) and recieved the network ip adress, gateway, subnet, dns1 & dns2.

I have tried static, DHCP...even ppoe....nothing.

The green network light, on the front of the monitor, lights up only when the system initilizes. Then goes off.

I've hooked up a laptop to the cat5 and the cable is good...computer worked just fine.

This is my first cctv project and I have hit a wall. My apologies if there is a common solution to this problem. I did research in the existing forums but did not happen upon a problem such as this.

Could the network adapter, built in the SMT-190dn, be bad from the factory?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

austin

Hook that computer back up to the cable that you are using for the DVR.

What is listed under ipconfig?

Ethernet adapter local area connection:

Connection-specific DNS suffix: gateway.2wire.net

IP Address: 192.168.1.69

Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

Default gateway: 192.168.1.254

Ethernet adapter wireless network connection media state........: media disconnected.

I appreciate your time.

Thanks again,

austin

What IP, Subnet, and Gateway did you set the DVR as?

it should be set to static BTW.

the DVR has to be set to the same range as the router, eg:

IP: 192.168.1.200

Subnet: 255.255.255.0

Gateway: 192.168.1.254

Dont worry about DNS values for now.

Goto another computer on the network, goto Start, Run, Cmd.

If this is XP and the DVR uses port 80 for the remote video then you can do this : Telnet 192.168.1.200 80

CHANGE 80 to the port it uses.

If the screen goes blank and does not give an error then it connected.

BUT that is only locally .. test it out locally though using the client software or browser (if supported).

Then you would need to port forward the port to that DVR IP in the router applications and gaming or servers section, so you can access it from outside.

I entered the exact information suggested for ip, subnet, gateway.

I logged onto my wireless laptop, which is XP.

Brought up the command prompt and typed telnet 192.168.1.200 80

It said: Connecting to 192.168.1.200......could not open connection to the host, on port 80:

EDIT: I did confirm that my DVR is set to port 80.

Ok .. what type of router are you using?

Are the cables all connected right?

make sure the right cable is plugged into the right port on the DVR.

Geez...found the problem.

When you said to check the cat5 was plugged into the correct slot it reminded me to check the pins in the DVR...one was bent.

I am watching the cameras now, locally. I have port fowarded and believe I am ready for remote acces as well.

Again, thanks for the help.

Austin

Well, I had a friend attempt to log on and check my cameras. I am missing something.

I port forwarded port 80.

I called AT&T and asked them why cant I access my cameras outside my network. They said I have to purchase a static ip address.

Is this true? If so, what a downer...

Well not entirely.

You can check the ISP assigned IP address and if it has not changed, they should still be able to get into it. It should be DHCP and that should not change that often. At least you should be able to use it to test the DVR, even if it changes in a day or so. Also, you could sign up with a free DDNS account and enter that into the router. Check the router for DDNS types allowed for that model, DynDns.org is a common one. You can then create a DDNS name and it will redirect to the updated IP for your account.

Additionally, Perhaps they are blocking port 80? Simple check, change the port in the DVR to port 81, then port forward 81 instead of 80, then ask your friend to try again. Telnet to it instead though, incase he is having issues with the software or browser.