joecctv

Controlling a VCL Orbiter from a PC (Pelco D/P)

Hi All,

I am trying to get some VCL orbiter PTZ domes I recently aquired working with my PC. I am using a serial RS232 to RS422 converter and have T+ and T- on the RS422 converter connected to Data + and Data- on the dome. I have set all 8 dip switches on DILSW1 to on which should set the address to 1 and I have tried setting the dip switches on DILSW2 to both pelco D and pelco P protocols.

I have tried using both the PTZ control in Geovision and a third party control software called PTZ Controller. I can see the sys.ok LED flashing when I try and control the camera from either program but the camera doesn't respond. If I set the protocol on the camera to pelco P and the baud rate to 4800 in either software I get the RS422 DATA LED come on and the sys.ok flashes when trying to control but still no movement! Interestingly the RS422 DATA LED only stays on when address 2,3 or 4 is set on either software.

I have tried two different cameras with the same setting but still I cannot get the camera to do anything. All 3 cameras were pulled from a working system about 3 months ago so I know the cameras work.

I'm pretty sure I am almost there now but I have some sort of addressing problem. I have also set the jumper on LK1 (RS422 Termination) to off which is the only way the DATA LED stays on.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks

Did you ever get this sorted, I've had VCL orbiter working on pelco before, i'll check the setup if you still need help.

Did you ever get this sorted, I've had VCL orbiter working on pelco before, i'll check the setup if you still need help.

Hi rainman

could you check the setup for me that will help a lot

Jeroen

Never got this working, ended up buying an old Tecton controller that has the VCL protocol from fleabay. Have since bought a stand alone DVR with a PTZ output, have tried various settings for pelco d/p with my orbiters and had no success at all. So far have only had success using my cameras with controllers that support the VCL protocol.

hi thanks for getting back to me i know i can be done has my mates got 4 domes running on his lock up just waiting for tv in card for my pc and will let u know hw i do

Will be great if you get yours running, orbiters are quality domes. How are you planning on connecting your dome to your pc?