rory

Anyone used the Backup server yet?

Just curious what it is, dont have a card to play with but saw it on someone elses 8.32 system (all my systems are primarily 8.12 as that was Geo's last great build IMO), and they were wondering if they could use it to backup video? See nothing about it on Geo's site either. In fact, overall GeoVision has very poor literature on their software, online.

Thanks,

Rory

I played with it a bit. It allows you to store the video files on the local hard drive and another machine, via an iSCSI connection.

On the GV machine, you must install the microsoft iSCSI initiator (available on the MS web site). This sets the remote volume as a local drive letter on the GV machine. Then set GV to connect to your iSCSI server. When the connection is active ( you can see this in the iSCSI Initiator program), go into Computer management, Disk manager. The iSCSI volume should show up. You need to create a partition, format the volume and assign a drive letter.

Don't spend too much time wondering if the connection is right. If the connection info is bad, you will get an immediate "Connection failure" message. If you do not get that message, then the issue is partition/format/assign a letter.

It worked for me for a while. I started having stability problems with my GV computer (hard lock up, screen frozen) so I removed it. The stability problems have continued (so it may be unrelated), and now I'm getting video smearing when I play back some logs. I think its time for a new computer.