Sign in to follow this  
videomonitoring

Wireless Mesh Suggestions?

Another suggestion would be Hautespot, but honestly, you will want to be sure that you really need a mesh setup, and that a point-to-point, or multipoint setup with separate backhauls, and not mesh, might be better.

Mesh networking has a history of some really overblown performance claims, and some really large scale failures.

If you do use mesh, only use units with at least two, if not three or more, radios per enclosure.. and be prepared to pay well for it. Units with a single radio will lose half of their bandwidth through each hop.

Plan on EXTENSIVE site surveys, and spectrum analysis.

I have had good success using standard point to point or multipoint wireless gear from Ubiquiti, and Routerboards and Mini-PCI cards from Mikrotik.

Alvarion gear has been used successfully in a lot of large scale municipal deployments.

I've heard good things about Firetide and Fluidmesh...any other recommendations?

Think about bandwidth.

MESH is bandwidth poor.

I would suggest that you confirm what the expectations are for the number of simultanous video channels that will be required to transmit on the network, what the bandwidth would be per camera channel (considering the implications of multicasting), add a resonable allowance for radio system overhead and consider the number of uplinks serving the MESH network.

Ilkie