Sign in to follow this  
MiamiRob

Community Secure Software - Millenium Hardware

I am posting to request input about the Access Control system that our security company is proposing for our condo building. They are recommending Millenium hardware and a software product called "Community Secure" also from Millenium.

http://www.communitysecure.com/default.asp?LINKNAME=CS-SYSTEMS-OVERVIEW

Since the original proposal a couple of months ago, at my urging, our new camera system has evolved from an analog system to an IP system that will use video analytic (Ioimage) cameras for the building perimeter. (I work with computer networks so it makes sense to me to have an IP-based system.) The proposed camera control software will be Exacqvision VMS software.

Currently, Millenium Community Secure software does not integrate with the Exacqvision software or any other software that will support the Ioimage cameras. Therefore, the security company is planning access control and camera systems will run on two different servers and viewing the video associated with an event in the access control system will be a two-step process. The security company feels that a two-step process is not a big deal. I disagree. I would like the camera and access control software to be integrated so that one can click on an event like a key fob opening a door and view the video of the event. We are spending hundreds of thousands on our security system and I feel that access control and camera systems should be integrated. Is it normal to keep the access control and camera systems separate. That does not make a lot of sense to me.

The security company has installed Millenium hardware and software in other condos in Miami and so they are very familiar with it. They also feel that Community Secure has features that are unique to condos like the ability to have the lobby guards control the elevators. (Although, our elevators are older and are not on cards access so this feature is not yet relevant.)

I would sincerely appreciate everyone's thoughts and input on the access control hardware and software. Is it possible for access control systems to be IP-based? If so, is there any value to this? I am really starting to question using Millenium. I am particularily concerned about the Community Secure software product. Even the website for the product seems poorly thought out.

Thank you very much.

Rob

I'd suggest looking at the IEI Emerge system, it's not fully IP all the way to the edge (reader), but it is a fully browser based architecture that needs no server (and from what I saw previously, your integrator wanted a real premium for that).

They do have PoE powered Micronodes to control two points each, as well as larger controller cans to control more points, fully SQL/ODBC compliant database, embedded Red Hat Linux OS, and although not well advertised, compatibility with Exacq's interface (the IEI uses S2's base operating system).

I read the documentation for eMerge. It sounds like a great system. Very interesting architecture that makes a lot of sense in its simplicity. Do you know if Millenium Access Control products communicate with the server whenever a key fob is scanned to open a door, etc? I like that eMerge does not have to communicate with a server to validate each entry. I called the IEI Sales Department in California. I am playing phone tag with them but learning a lot through the voice mails.

eMerge 5000 support elevators, contractor badges and gates so I think that is everything our condo would need. I really like that the system is managed through a browser.

Are there any other access control companies that you would suggest I look into?

Thank you very much for suggesting I look at IEI.

Rob