Sign in to follow this  
Cougar281

DVR Card recommendation

Well, the PCIe Conexant card is going back. The card it's self may be a decent budget card, but unfortunately the software that comes with it, which is apparently the only software that'll work with it, is unstable at best.

With that said, can anyone give me a recommendation for a decent, fairly inexpensive card (Ideally, not TOO far over the $200 mark)? What I'm looking for is either PCI or PCIe, comes with decent software and/or is supported by other commercial software, Ideally have the option to run on Windows or *nix (Will probably run on Windows, but it would be nice to have the option), can record all channels at D1 resolution and at least 15fps, either 8 or 16 channel card, software should have it's own SMTP engine so I don't have to have Outlook installed for it to send alerts . Motion detect is a must, ideally able to select specific portions of the frame (that's all in the software I'd imagine). Audio inputs and the ability to control PTZ cameras would be nice for future expansion, but not a must. Ability to export to avi or other "standard" format would be nice but not a *must*.

I'm not against getting used hardware either.

I'd LOVE to be able to get all top shelf hardware, but unfortunately, I need to go towards the buget end .

Thanks

it depends on your budget. if its used on ebay then its just a bad card been returned. and anyone can put links to geovision.

buying from ebay bad idea. its a risk that turns into a headache and costs money. take a look at the avermedia nv3000 costs a little more than cards on ebay. but its new and you have back-up and support.

That card has been recommended. The problem with it is it apears to be a 4 port card. I need 8 ports minimum as I only have two PCI slots and will need 7-10 cameras once I'm done. It looks like the lowest model AverMedia card I could use is the NV7240. I was also looking at the GV-800-8 series as an option if I could find a decent price used one.

the nv5000 will give you 16 cameras on two pci slots. and 25 fps on each camera.

Thanks for the tip on that; Looks like that'll be a good option, and I can get it through work from one of their distributors (D&H) for a decent price. Only thing I'm a little confused about is you say it'll do 16x25fps, but AverMedia's specs say it'll do a max of 120fps. Is that spec just for the base 4 channels?

it depends on your budget. if its used on ebay then its just a bad card been returned. and anyone can put links to geovision.

buying from ebay bad idea. its a risk that turns into a headache and costs money. take a look at the avermedia nv3000 costs a little more than cards on ebay. but its new and you have back-up and support.

That card has been recommended. The problem with it is it apears to be a 4 port card. I need 8 ports minimum as I only have two PCI slots and will need 7-10 cameras once I'm done. It looks like the lowest model AverMedia card I could use is the NV7240. I was also looking at the GV-800-8 series as an option if I could find a decent price used one.

the nv5000 will give you 16 cameras on two pci slots. and 25 fps on each camera.

Thanks for the tip on that; Looks like that'll be a good option, and I can get it through work from one of their distributors (D&H) for a decent price. Only thing I'm a little confused about is you say it'll do 16x25fps, but AverMedia's specs say it'll do a max of 120fps. Is that spec just for the base 4 channels?

25fps on each card so you will need 2 cards and 2 extentions.