When it comes to MP cameras pixels on target is very important. Arecont and Aviglon make is very easy to calculate the right lens and MP camera to use. Once I know this then I can pick day, night, and/or IR. It's a different way of thinking then the old analog way and it makes it much easier to quote the right system for the job.

Edited by Guest

Christopher, No personal attack intended, just trying to re-engage you to the thread with amirim, as he was leading you down the correct path.

If there is optimal response for both sensors then the 3MP sensor would give the greater resolution. Therefore if you need to cover the same scene distances and widths both day and night and have designed the system for a known result with the 3MP sensor, the 1.3MP sensor will not give you the same outcome. This may be the difference between being able to read a license plate during the day but not at night.

Without consideration of compression levels lets take an extreme example: the new Arecont 10MP Camera is 10MP Colour Sensor and 1080p Monochrome. From the Camera mounted at 3 meters we have a distance to target of 30 meters and at 30M a scene width of 20 meters (37 degree horizontal angle of view). We need to cover the same scene both day and night and have installed IR illumination to optimise the night performance. The required result is to be able to read license plates both day and night accross the scene width at the target distance.

1. Will we be able to read the license plates during the day? YES

2. Will we be able to read the license plates at night? NO

Example 2:

We have a good 5MP Day/Night camera mounted at 3 meters high and have a distance to target of 20 meters and at 20M a scene width of 15 meters (41 Degree HAV), we have installed IR illumination for maximum night time performance, and are using a high quality IR corrected lens, we need to read license plates accross the scene width at the target distance. Will we acheive our result both day and night?

Based off 150ppm yes this will work day and night. You could also use a 8mm lens with a HFoV of 17m and DtPD of 22m.

the new Arecont 10MP Camera is 10MP Colour Sensor and 1080p Monochrome.

I was with my Arecont Rep the other day and I was asking about this camera. You can set it up as a 10MP camera or a 1080p camera and they are using the same binning technology that Panasonic is using but Arecont can do h.264 in all modes unlike Panasonic. So in 10MP mode you will get 10MP day and around 2.5 MP at night. In 1080P mode you get 1080P day and I think 720P at night all with h.264.

Thought I'd update my Mobotix issue. They did contact me, and the camera was successfully sent in for a password reset.

Note: you MUST go through a Mobotix dealer when you request this service. Now that I know this, it may speed up the process for the next time.

Just to let everybody know that they did take care of me... and it was appreciated.