bennyGoon

Help with Resolution

Where do I set the webcam resolution? I checked all the setting and can't find it. I have a gv-600 card running 8.33

I think i am stuck at 320x240 only...

Where do I set the webcam resolution? I checked all the setting and can't find it. I have a gv-600 card running 8.33

I think i am stuck at 320x240 only...

The first place you go is the Tools menu, A/V Settings, Video Source. You then select either NTSC or PAL and a resolution of 320x240 (default) up to 720x480. Next, go to System Configuration, Camera Settings. To the right of the slider for Recording Quality, click on the arrow (Recording Resolution) to ensure it's set properly for that camera. To set them all the same, press the green finger button above the slider. Probably better to set them individually depending on importance.

Remember that storage goes up quite a bit using 720x480. Try 640x480 for a good happy medium.

When you log in to the DVR remotely, for live view, click on the 3rd icon from the right *Change Quality". You select your Codec and the Resolution you want. If the main system is set up right, you should see 320x240 (default), 640x480 and 720x480 listed. Just select what you want.

Don't ask me why but you can also set it by pressing the Microphone icon. You see a small microphone box appear in the upper left side of the screen. Press the Expand (>>) button. This will take you to the Video/Audio Configuration. Press the Camera tab to get Codec and Resolution options.

Harrar,

You've been really helpful with this issue, but I must be a total idiot. What software do you use to log into the DVR remotely?

I've checked the geovision driver CD and I swear they have 30 software packages, with little instruction on what any of them do. I must have installed 4 of them already with no success. I was using 3rd party software for webcam live view before this.

Thanks for all your help bro.

You can download the programs remotely from the DVR to your computer. Go to your Geo main screen and click on the far right icon (Network) and select Webserver. When the popup appears just press OK. You should now see WEB appear in the upper right blue section of screen. If you're using a laptop, the easiest way is to plug it into the same router as your DVR, type in the DVR's LAN IP. Once you log in, you'll be in the single camera Live View screen. Geovision uses Active X controls (IE only) which it will download to your computer. For multiple camera views, select DMMMultiview to download that program, etc. or go to the Download tab on the left and select the programs there. One note, find the resolution of your laptop or desktop prior to downloading.

If this isn't feasible, a couple of things you'll have to do.

First, at the DVR/router end, you'll have to port forward all the necessary ports thru your router to the DVR. These would be 80, 3550, 4550, 5550, 5066 and 5552, minimum. If you want to add audio, mobile phone, 3G/RTSP, etc the list gets longer. You can go to http://portforward.com to get the specifics for your router and Geovision apps.

Does the DVR/router have a static or dynamic IP line from your ISP. If static, all you have to do is type in the IP address in your browser and you are there. If it's dynamic, you'll have to use some type of DNS client to keep your IP updated. Geovision provides a free service they call dipmap. The program is on the DVD under 8.3.3 System. It's called DDNS. Just load it on your DVR and run. Register whatever name you want (make sure you check the Save box and Run at Startup box). From any browser, you can just type in http://mydvr.dipmap.com to access your site. You can also get a free account from Dyndns.com

Sorry about the "book". It actually takes longer to read this than actually do it. Hope it makes sense and helps. Any other questions, feel free...

Wow dude... I never used IE so I didn't realize those options were there. I logged in with FF and saw a very limited screen and assumed IE was the same. Nice, thanks a bunch.

I guess the reason why I asked to begin with, is because I was using Rory's Simple View. I like rory's software because it's a quicker login but it seems like the webcam quality is much lower there than elsewhere. When using LiveScanGeo and right click, I can't select 640x480 resolution because it's grayed out. Do you happen to know how to enable that resolution? I can use that resolution from IE.

Thanks for eveything bro

Not familiar with rory's programs but you may want to try PM'ing him with your questions on LiveScanGeo.

You may what to check out Geo's Simple View. Starting with Version 8.3.2, at the Login screen you have the option of Common Version which gives you Live View of one camera with controls or Simple Version where you can select whatever number of cameras you want without controls, for viewing. Nice added feature. Think they've been reading rory's posts and visiting his site

Yea that works well... My only grip is remembering log in info. I don't like having to login each time from my home machine, thats why I like rory's solutions.

Anyways thanks for the help

Under Webcam (network settings) you can set the Webcam Server Video size, if its set to low then when you connect remotely you wont be able to switch to a higher resolution. They seem to have changed it all around between the various 8.3 versions .. but its there somewhere

AS for my SimpleVue and LiveScan the quality setting is in the ini file.

Quality: (Optional)

If less than 0 or greater than 3, it will set to default.

0=Low (320x)

1=Good (320x)

2=High (320x) [DEFAULT]

3=Best (640x / 720x)

BandWidth: (Optional)

Anything but LAN or MODEM will set to default.

MODEM=Low Bandwidth [DEFAULT]

LAN=High Bandwidth

the quality setting of 3 will depend on the Server though. In those versions I only set it to 640x480 or 720x480 so if it is PAL it wont work and will default.

Rory

Hey Rory, Thanks for the LiveVue.

I must be a total idiot or maybe it's just geovision's complicated settings, but I still can't find the setting in 8.3

Close your Web Server under Network icon. Restart the Webserver but before clicking OK, go to the Video tab. Under Max Image Size, change Normal (320x240) to Medium (640x480 or 720x480) deinterlaced or Large for straight 640x480 or 720x480, depending on what your Video Source is set to.

If your running IP cameras, you should see an Actual SIze selection also.

That should do it for you.

Ok yea, I had it at large but I don't see any difference when viewing remotely. Still not sure what I am missing... maybe it's because I have a gv-600 card?

Actually this is a good question to ask in this thread .. in 8.3 anyone know where the webcam codec setting has been moved to? Benny this could be affecting your remote video quality also, if its H.264 then its going to be very bad quality, but good for slow connections. I need to take another look today but for the life of me I could not find a setting for the webcam's codec in 8.3.3, its not where it use to be, by the webcam quality setting.

I know where to set the codec, thanks to Harrar

Stop all monitoring, then A/V Setting, Video Attributes, Advanced.

I have mine set as Geo MPEG 4 btw..

Also, I set the quality to Best, hit ok, went back in and it's back to normal.

So I'm lost again...

yeah for some reason that section doesnt seem to save the info.

Not sure if 8.3.3 is using the same codec as the Remote Viewlog HTTP server now ..

Which codec do you recommend rory?

And which geovision version worked best with your tools?

I can downgrade assuming the iphone app works with older versions.

Codec is up to you, depends on the connection. I always use Fast MPEG4 as Geo's H.264 and ASP are both lower quality .. I use the H.264 for webcam on slow connections though. The Geo quality has decreased over the years IMO, they should add back in some higher quality codecs now as hard drive space is so cheap these days.

Actually this is a good question to ask in this thread .. in 8.3 anyone know where the webcam codec setting has been moved to? Benny this could be affecting your remote video quality also, if its H.264 then its going to be very bad quality, but good for slow connections. I need to take another look today but for the life of me I could not find a setting for the webcam's codec in 8.3.3, its not where it use to be, by the webcam quality setting.

Hate to bump but... bump, lol

Seriously how can I increase the webcam resolution?