florin

Camera cannot see my IR illuminator - please help

I am very new to CCTV and electronics, so, please bare with me.

I recently bought a camera board from eBay and I was surprised to find out that it cannot see my IR illuminator.

This is the camera board I just bought: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220532674740&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

This is my IR illuminator: http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=390165784187

I also have a much cheaper 0.2 lux camera that can see really well the IR illuminator and I was hoping that by getting a very low lux one (like the new one I just bought -> 0.001 lux) I will be able to get a better image in low light conditions. This is not the case, as the new one cannot see the illuminator, and without the illuminator the image is not smooth and it is 'noisy'. When I say the new Sony cannot see the illuminator, I mean it can see a very very very little light from the IR, while the cheap old camera looks like noon, on a sunny day on the beach when I use the same IR illuminator.

I use the cameras in underwater enclosures, for fishing.

Am I doing something wrong? Should I change some settings? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Speo

Edited by Guest

That's a color camera... meaning it probably has an IR cut filter over the sensor. I would guess your other camera is a B&W model?

Don't be fooled by the low lux rating either, B&W cameras typically work far better in low light than color. That rating is enabled by the "Sense Up" function, which slows the shutter speed down, leading to motion blur. You'll get exposure at that level, but with a ridiculously long shutter speed, enough that it probably won't be a usable image.

The other cheap camera is also color: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270532006611&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Before buying the new Sony camera, I asked the seller if it can see the IR and his response was "Yes, of course it can use IR" and he also recommended me one of his illuminators. I did not buy the one he recommended, because I already had one.

This is the IR that he recommended: http://cgi.ebay.com/Waterproof-IR-Illuminator-CCTV-Cam-60-Led-IR-50M-Night_W0QQitemZ260342800663QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3c9da3e117

This is the IR I have and it doesn't work with the new Sony camera, but works fine with my cheap old camera: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390165784187&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.com%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp3693.m38.l1313%26_nkw%3D390165784187%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

Is there something special about the IR he recommended me?

I tested the Sony camera again and it looks like it can see a little bit of the IR illumination. When I point the IR to the camera, I can see a white disc, but when I turn the iR with my old cheap camera it looks like noon, on a sunny day on the beach.

Thanks,

Speo

I would ask for a refund and send it back, reminding him he said it would work with IR....

The camera will, as said earlier in the thread, have a IR cut filter, which is blocking the IR, the other camera does not have a IR cut filter by the sounds of things.

The camera will, as said earlier in the thread, have a IR cut filter, which is blocking the IR, the other camera does not have a IR cut filter by the sounds of things.

I was affraid this is the case, but, somehow, I was hoping that the seller is right and I am missing something, like an option in the camera settings to disable/enable that filter (you are free to laugh if I just said something very silly), or it can see IR but a "special kind" of IR...

So, here are my last 2 silly questions:

- can I remove the IR filter

- is it possible to see only certain IR illuminators?

Speo

I was affraid this is the case, but, somehow, I was hoping that the seller is right and I am missing something, like an option in the camera settings to disable/enable that filter (you are free to laugh if I just said something very silly), or it can see IR but a "special kind" of IR...

So, here are my last 2 silly questions:

- can I remove the IR filter

- is it possible to see only certain IR illuminators?

Speo

"Remember, Kyle, there are no stupid questions, only stupid people." (Bonus points: where is that quote from? )

There isn't a "special" kind of IR, per se, but there are different wavelengths; this camera's filter may be blocking the wavelength used by your existing illuminator.

Can you remove it? Probably not, at least not without damaging something.

Thank you guys for your replies.

The eBay seller is "afraid that he shiped out the wrong camera" and he will send the one without the filter. I still have a bad feling about this...

Speo

That's a color camera... meaning it probably has an IR cut filter over the sensor. I would guess your other camera is a B&W model?

Don't be fooled by the low lux rating either, B&W cameras typically work far better in low light than color. That rating is enabled by the "Sense Up" function, which slows the shutter speed down, leading to motion blur. You'll get exposure at that level, but with a ridiculously long shutter speed, enough that it probably won't be a usable image.

Bingo