Sign in to follow this  
mikeloew1

pelco coaxitron questions

Hi, what is pelco coaxitron exactly. I have a Pelco DX4500 and a pelco spectra II and a spectra III. My understanding is if you use Pelco-D or P Protocol coaxitron hook up you do not have to run 2 extra wires to to TX+ and TX - and to RX+ and RX - to control pan, tilt and zoom, that if runs over the same coax run, is this true?

Hi, what is pelco coaxitron exactly. I have a Pelco DX4500 and a pelco spectra II and a spectra III. My understanding is if you use Pelco-D or P Protocol coaxitron hook up you do not have to run 2 extra wires to to TX+ and TX - and to RX+ and RX - to control pan, tilt and zoom, that if runs over the same coax run, is this true?

yes you are right mike. coaxitron is control and video over coax. found on older ptz cameras.

You are correct about the transmission over the coax. Pelco D or P protocols are separate protocols, used over separate twisted pairs, as you said. Coaxitron is its own protocol, over the same cable as the video signal (it transmits the signal to the camera during the vertical blanking interval, between individual fields of video).

Coaxitron is limited to using over coax cable, or PASSSIVE twisted pair converters, it will not pass through amplified baluns, or media converters like fiber optic, etc.

How far, and over what type of cable, are you trying to transmit your signal?

Thanks for the info, my camera is only about 150' away from the dvr so I am trying to figure out my options with my equipment. my other thought was to use an all in one ready made video cable with an attached power and an audio and cut the end of the audio and use the 2 leads for TX+ and TX- to control PTZ if that makes sense then all my wires would be in one molded wire. Would that be the best bet or is there another way? Thanks again gentelmen. Mike

150' should be fine for Coaxitron, you only get into issues with it at about 750' or so (on RG59).

Your idea of using the power pair for the RS422 signal would probably work, too. Specifications for RS422 control cable call for shielded, twisted pair.... But, I've used just about anything short of fence wire and had it work......Actually, I had a discussion on another forum about using fence wire for power and signals, but that's another story....