Todd

Choppy playback (view log)

New system.

Gigabyte H55M-S2H motherboards.

Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB HD (32mb cache, 5900rpm)

Both onboard graphics and geforce 210 tried

4 gigs DDR3 1600 ram (running 1333)

I3-530 Processor

WD Blue, system drive

Geovision 1480A capture card

Windows 7 32 bit

Video playback is choppy. The time counter moves but the images on the screen freeze. Eventually the images jump forward and continue.

Suggestions? I'm thinking hard drive at this point but I'm open to suggestions.

Tried a different hard drive. No luck. This is a drive i've used before.

Sometimes the playback works fairly well with only a freeze every couple of minutes. Other times it gets really bad and freezes constantly.

Also, the system kind of lags when you get a freeze. Meaning if I hit the "stop" button on the video playback, it doesn't register for a bit.

I'm definately open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

What version are you running? I assume it's 8.33. Was this an upgrade from an earlier version?

It's 8.3.3. Clean install, all new hardware with all three boards.

I've tried my third setup and all are doing it. I tried changing the video recording resolution to 360X240 to see if that would help. It appears to help a bit......but it's still there.

I've now found there are some issues with H55 boards and a video freeze. Just not sure which way to turn.

If anyone is using a I5-530 processor succesfully in a motherboard, please post. At this point i'd jump to any working motherboard.

Just a quick test. Try saving one of your files as an avi file and playing it back with Media Player. I'd also check to see if you have the latest video drivers. New machine doesn't mean latest drivers.

Heard of this problem with the Intel X58 chipset but it was supposedly fixed in 8.3.3.

What type cameras are you using? Try setting your Video Source to 640x480 (NOT de-interlaced) and give it a shot.

I think I may have found the issue. It's the H55 chipset and video files.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1235801

It sounds like it hits all H55 chipsets. I've tried everything and then some in that forum to make it go away. So far no luck.

I will try the AV file save. I did play some of the files in media player direct from the HD and the problem persisted. All the info is there since the stutters can happen in different areas. I'm going to check that very closely to make sure I understand exactly what is going on.

I bought some P55 boards last night and gforce 210 vid cards. I'm going to set one of those up and see what happens.

Now i've tried the P55 with a graphics card and still no joy

I'm back to thinking hard drives again.

There has to be a reason. This just doesn't make any sense.

Did you try disabling hyperthreading in the bios? The comments in this forum about it relate to a black screen but in others its dropped frames/jumps. At this point, it couldn't hurt to try.

I did try that with the H55 boards but not the P55 yet. That will be the very next thing I do.

I had Geo support tied up all afternoon. They are scratching their heads as well. I hope to hear from them tomarrow for some ideas.

I dont know if they did or not, but in my experience with Geo and a WD green drive, the playback was choppy, or it would jump. Switching the drive to any non GREEN drive fixed the problem, including a 5400rpm USB drive. Perhaps their Seagate drive was similar to the WD greens.

Yes we did. We initally switched to western digital black drives and now to the seagate XT drives (2TB). Problem solved. The 5900 seagate's were cheap but 5 were either bad or choppy.

Also, I put the new seagates which are sata 6 on a sata 6 controller and it seems much smoother. I was able to play back at 32X and no jumps at all. I was pretty impressed. I think I will stick with that combo for a while.

We have seen this on several systems we built, GeoVision said it was the hardware we were using. Seagate SV35 drives. MTBF of One Million hours +. GV cards apparently turn these drives into garbage prettty quickly, followed by blue screens.

But then we saw the freezing on a system that we bought from Geovision, built by Geovision. They still say they have never seen it happen.

After working with GV products for over 3 years, my opionion is that they just plain suck.