robert

Storage space calculation

I`m bit lost.

16 cams, 8fps, 4h/day motion, 30 days storage needed, MJPEG. Lets take 150kb/frame for example.

1 sec. = 8fps x 200kb = 1.6mb

1 min. = 1.6mb x 60 sec = 96mb

1h = 96mb x 60 min = 5.76GB

4h = 5.76 x 4 = 23.04GB

Per day 16 cams = 23.04 x 16 = 368.64GB

30 days = 11TB

Am I drunk or where I`m wrong?

Hmmm... You left one thing out: resolution.

I'm assuming you mean D1 on all channels? If so, I wouldn't say that's too far off. Obviously calculations are just educated guesses though...

Either way, there's lots of online calculators... just search.

I havn't seen MPEG compression used in a while... it's pretty ineffecient. The DVR doesn't have MPEG4? Is this something you already have or are you looking at buying it?

oh... I was looking at that one a while back... I didn't get it for that very reason. It's cheaper sure but not in the long run when you have to buy the additional storage.

oh... I was looking at that one a while back... I didn't get it for that very reason. It's cheaper sure but not in the long run when you have to buy the additional storage.

If I go H264, then I will need 99 cpu PC to watch live 16 cams at the same time H264 decoding is super CPU hungry. So, have to stick with MJPEG.

If I go H264, then I will need 99 cpu PC to watch live 16 cams at the same time H264 decoding is super CPU hungry. So, have to stick with MJPEG.

No you don't. Normal dual core machines will not have a problem displaying h.264. Hell Areconts MJPEG uses more CPU then the H.264 does.

Use Exacq with a Atom 330 for the server and a dual core for the client machines... done.

MJPEG settings 15% motion, 1.3MP and 8FPS

System Usage: N/A

Analog Cameras Used: 0

Audio Channels Used: 0

IP Cameras Used: 16

Average File Size per Second: 1.647 MB

Required Disk Space: 4478.944 GB (includes 30GB OS partition)

Average IP Camera Bandwidth: 87.89 Mb per second

Maximum IP File Size per Second: 10.986 MB

Required LAN Bandwidth: 1000 Mb per second

Minimum Recommended RAM: 512 MB

Minimum Recommended CPU: 2.0 GHz Intel Pentium 4

H.264 settings 15% motion, 1.3 MP and 8FPS

Analog Cameras Used: N/A

Audio Channels Used: 0

IP Cameras Used: 16

Average File Size per Second: 337.497 kB

Required Disk Space: 895.788 GB (includes 30GB OS partition)

Average IP Camera Bandwidth: 17.578 Mb per second

Maximum IP File Size per Second: 2.197 MB

Required LAN Bandwidth: 100 Mb per second

Minimum Recommended RAM: 512 MB

Minimum Recommended CPU: 2.0 GHz Intel Pentium 4

Check out the Minimum CPU and RAM recommendations.

What NVR software are you using? Are your recording in the native format? Server side recompression?

Its Luxriot.

thewireguys

I visited Luxriot office where many maniac guys sit and code Luxriot, I know them well, they are local to me, been there many times. Unfortunately Luxriot is very resource hungry compared to other NVRs, but its cheap, very easy to use and manage +I get A1 support in seconds when I need. This customer is on budget, so cant afford H264 cameras and Excaq.

Can he afford all the additional storage, CPU, and bandwidth requirments???

Seems like there's little benefit there to using cheap NVR software... Not to mention my biggest pet peve with LuxRiot... no pre motion recording. Either you record 24/7 or you'll miss footage!

Seems like there's little benefit there to using cheap NVR software... Not to mention my biggest pet peve with LuxRiot... no pre motion recording. Either you record 24/7 or you'll miss footage!

It will be gigabit LAN, so, nothing much more expensive there - Cat6 instead of Cat5, GB Lan network cards are on every motherboard now +PoE switch has 4 gigabit ports also. I have spoken to customer and he agreed to cut down to 14 days, because of storage cost.

Yea not a fan of Luxriot. Exacq is just easier in every way for me. Good luck with the install. 4 to 6 TB of storage is alot of money compared to 1TB plus the RAID card and Xeon server. $1,499.00 for the Luxriot or $2400.00 for Exacq you will easily make $1000 up with the storage and server cost.

Yea not a fan of Luxriot. Exacq is just easier in every way for me. Good luck with the install.

I have been installing Luxriot for 2 years, so, very used to it. But I`m learning Excaq bit by bit. Its just more expensive.

Edited by Guest

Yea not a fan of Luxriot. Exacq is just easier in every way for me. Good luck with the install.

I have been installing Luxriot for 2 years, so, very used to it. But I`m learning Excaq bit by bit. Its just more expensive, I can get it xxx$/cam incl. VAT.

Who is selling it for Exacq $XXX?

Edited by Guest

Forum rules say don't post prices.. Especially dealer prices. You'll want to edit that info out of the forum, before a mod does it for you.

Not to mention do you really want potential customers Google searching your prices and you having to justify your markup?

4 to 6 TB of storage is alot of money compared to 1TB plus the RAID card and Xeon server. $1,499.00 for the Luxriot or $2400.00 for Exacq you will easily make $1000 up with the storage and server cost.

Customer said he needs cheapest, so, just normal Samsung 2TB HDDs for 200$/piece. I know its , but customer is on budget. I would put WD RE3 +RAID card.