Sign in to follow this  
Mera

AVTECH AVD717D HD size issue

Help required please!

I have an AVTECH AVD717D which was purchased in 2008. It has 2 x 750GB Seagate DVR Hard Drives in it, giving a total storage of 1.5TB. I have it set to Frame, best res and quality and currently run 8 cams to it. It records about 2 weeks then cycles and overwrites the previous 2 weeks.

That is what i thought... what is actually happening is that the 1.5TB records the first time round but after that, for some reason it only shows the drives as approx 7GB total and it then cycles on the 7GB which means I only get a few hours record time and then it cycles again. I only noticed this recently when I had to go check on a recording and of course I couldn't find it.

Does anyone know what the issue might be and how to fix it? I tried reformatting the drives in a windows machine and replacing them. This worked initially, showing 1.5TB but then after the first cycle was back to the 7GB.

Your help very much appreciated.

Just a quick update in case anyone else is having this issue.

I contacted the supplying dealer who were totally not useful

So I deided to RTFM and then I realised the hard drives were not installed properly:

1. The dealer had used both cables and somehow set them both up as master

2. The cable select jumper was in place on the drives.

I followed the manual. Set one drive to master, the other to slave both on the drives and used a single ide cable as instructed.

Voila, now the DVR sees both drives and the full 1.5TB

Also, the overwrite function will clear 7 or 8 GB of space at a time to record new data - but that's a different area of the disk each time. Some people think that it's recording over the saem 8GB each time...

When you search for video on an avtech/cpcam that had multiple hard drives, change the "Search Selected" to "Seach All HDD". That way you don't miss video that's actually stored on the other HD.

That is very useful information, thank you - I have experienced that before.

Generally on the AVD717D, it has run in my environmnent untouched for 3 years. It is rock solid, when we have a power failure, it is backed by a UPS and when the UPS drains, it shuts down. On power restart, it starts off where it left off.