Sign in to follow this  
3RDIGLBL

Megapixel 100mm + lens?

Anyone know of such a beast? I have a special install where the customer is looking to do a fully self sufficient video recording setup for a camp he has high up on a hill. He is looking at between $5k and $10 for a single camera setup with solar panels, batteries etc to keep an eye on a camp.

I did a site visit and we can see the camp in plain line of site from the roof of his residence with only a couple minor trees in the way so I was thinking of using a 5mp Arecont with a highpowered lens to get up there. His camp would be between 1500 and 2000 feet away up in the hill. Major challenges include for one the sunlight. We would be looking up towards the hill so making sure we have as little as the skyline as possible is key but that will not really prevent the glare anyhow. An analog WDR would not be sufficient due to the distance and width of the area to be covered unless I can get a close enough view with a good lens.

The width of the lot he is on covers about 65' and with a 100mm lens it will get us to about 100' width. That's why I was looking at MP but I can't even locate a 100mm MP lens. I would prefer 150mm and anything higher than that I might as well get him setup with solar LOL!

Anyone know of such a beast? I have a special install where the customer is looking to do a fully self sufficient video recording setup for a camp he has high up on a hill. He is looking at between $5k and $10 for a single camera setup with solar panels, batteries etc to keep an eye on a camp.

I did a site visit and we can see the camp in plain line of site from the roof of his residence with only a couple minor trees in the way so I was thinking of using a 5mp Arecont with a highpowered lens to get up there. His camp would be between 1500 and 2000 feet away up in the hill. Major challenges include for one the sunlight. We would be looking up towards the hill so making sure we have as little as the skyline as possible is key but that will not really prevent the glare anyhow. An analog WDR would not be sufficient due to the distance and width of the area to be covered unless I can get a close enough view with a good lens.

The width of the lot he is on covers about 65' and with a 100mm lens it will get us to about 100' width. That's why I was looking at MP but I can't even locate a 100mm MP lens. I would prefer 150mm and anything higher than that I might as well get him setup with solar LOL!

The closest C mount one that I know of and have used is the Rainbow 8-80mm f/1.6, auto iris, IR Corrected 1/2" Megapixel Lens

http://www.rainbowcctv.com/specs/mega-pixel/index.html

With the 5MP Camera.

@ 80mm focal length and distance to target of 1500ft you will get a scene width of 107ft

@ 80mm focal length and distance to target of 2000ft you will get a scene width of 145ft

pixels on target for the above is relatively low so would only be good for general coverage.

Out of your customers budget, but best fit for purpose would be an 11 or 16MP camera with an EF mount lens 400mm Auto Iris Canon. At least you would get good pixels on target. No good for low light.

Whats the lighting like?, could imagine for your scene description that it would be low.

Edited by Guest

Mobotix M12D-Sec with the L135 lens?

No mate. Thats Mobotix speak, very different to this. The Mobotix L135 is a true 25mm lens with a 15 degree HAV on it's 3MP sensor.

The L135 relates to 35mm Sensor sizes, ie; a 135mm Lens on a 35mm Sensor gives a 15 degree horizontal angle of view (HAV), so Mobotix relates this back to their lens model numbers even though their camera sensor sizes are completly different. A 25mm lens on a 3MP sensor gives a 15 degree HAV and thats the relationship. Why make it simple eh?

So to convert that on the 3MP Sensor, at 1500ft you end up with a scene width of almost 390ft and at 2000ft you end up with a scene width of 520ft, and about 4-6x less pixels on target than the 5MP camera with a true 80mm focal length. (can't be bothered doing the exact math).

Edited by Guest

I know IPconfigure uses a 100mm to 200mm lens on the Axis P1436 that they use for LPR. I have a request in to find out the make and model.

Hi thewireguys,

It's possible that for LPR they dont require a true Megapixel lens, also do you know if they use the Axis in 1080p or 3 meg for their LPR? when you get the info back please post here or PM me, would be very interested to find a true C/CS mount megapixel lens with > 100mm focal length.

Glad you posted this because I was looking for one myself. What camera and solar setup do you plan on using?

I contacted http://www.sunsurveillance.com/ and spoke to them for a while. They build systems specific to the area of the country they would be installed in. Not really a solution geared toward a small residential install unless that person has the money to spend for such a small return.

My customer wanted to have the camera mounted at the camp and wirelessly transmitted down to his house. YES....it can definitely be done but at a cost like every other special application.

Sorry for my english.

Fujinon have those lenses but expensive (+/- 5000€)

32x megapixel telezoom lens

The latest 32x Megapixel Zoom lens enlarges the continuously growing product range of Megapixel lenses from Fujinon.

The new D32x15.6HR4D is designed for 1/2" sensors and offers a focal length range of f = 15.6 ~ 500 mm. The lens also supports high resolutions up to 1.3 Megapixel and features a wide aperture of F3.9 as well as auto iris (DC or Video type) including preset function.

Equipped with Fujinon´s "Day&Night technology" surveillance with sharp and high-quality images by day and night is possible without focus shift when switching between day and night mode. The small size and light weight of only 2.7 kg allows installation of a compact long range surveillance system for airports or harbours.

This new high quality Telezoom lens D32x15.6HR4D is the perfect companion to Fujinon´s other two 1.3 Megapixel zoom lenses: the D32x10HR4D (f=10~320mm, F2.5, Day&Night) and the D8x7.8HA (f=7.8~63mm, F1.2).

Glad you posted this because I was looking for one myself. What camera and solar setup do you plan on using?

I contacted http://www.sunsurveillance.com/ and spoke to them for a while. They build systems specific to the area of the country they would be installed in. Not really a solution geared toward a small residential install unless that person has the money to spend for such a small return.

My customer wanted to have the camera mounted at the camp and wirelessly transmitted down to his house. YES....it can definitely be done but at a cost like every other special application.

Yea I have talked with them. Nice product but not cheap.

two choice:

1st: use the camera with larger sensor(1/2'' or 1/1.8''), you can try to get some cheap 135 format photograph lens ( Canon's 135mm F2.0 or Sigma's 150 mm F2., and then you can find some EF mount to C mount converter.

2nd, use the camera with smaller sensor (1/2.5''), there are ton's 75mm machine vision lens. they have very good resolution( of course most them are manual one, you can't change the aperture and focusing after installation).