bpzle

Direct burial cat5e?

I've got some Optex beam sensors to put in a backyard without a fence that backs up to a public golf course. The owner thinks it to be a good entry point for thieves and vandals.

I have some cable concerns... Anyone ever use a product like this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.html/ref=mp_s_a_1/188-5996318-8068608?tag=gpse-20&m=A12KCMZOFVWNUR&qid=1271160107&a=B000I97GQ4&sr=8-1

I'd like to use cat5e for any possible future use. This stuff says its rated for direct burial...but anyone ever try something like that? How far down you think I should go? I was hoping to do what the CATV guys do and just wiggle a spade back and forth in the ground and sqeeze the cable down about 6 inches from grade... What do you think?

Full blown trenching with conduit would be out of the budget, for sure.... There's also a lot of trees in the area that a Ditchwitch wouldn't like...

I installed direct burial CAT 5, 2 years ago at a HOA community playground to connect the local DVR to a DSL line so security office could view cameras. It is tough stuff with a heavy exterior. We had no problems putting it in as you mentioned but in Florida we just were moving sand. Be sure to dig it deeper if the yard guys may edge any area, like around trees, sidewalks, or curbs. You should try to get it at least 4" down I would think. I ran the cable through a ¾" x 24" metal pipe to help push the wire into the deepest part of the trough and fed it out and down the narrow trench then my assist would step on the cut to seal it down then I would pull the next little strip out. We moved along as we trenched. Easy with 3 one the job, a little harder with 2, a pain if one guy was to do it.