kebra

AVTECH DR040 shows 3 color bars in VideoViewer

Hi everyone, this is my first post and I have a question.

Are these standalone systems sensitive to harmonics in the power line?

I'm asking this because I've installed this model on a gas station whit no UPS, and no stable power supply, and every single day I have some new trouble with this equipoment. At first I thought it was a bad DVR, and swaped it for a new one. It keeps switching on and off, and now it shows "no valid hdd".

All I can think is "there's something wrong with power line".

Am I wrong or an UPS is a "MUST" on these situations?

I have not worked with this particular DVR so I truely cannot answer your question.

Your DVR is manufactured by AVTech Taiwan.

In regards to AVTech model DVRs over a period of time I have used, and abused these DVRs beyond typical tolerances. The AVC 760 (sata, or IDE versions) will go in to an attic in the hot Florida climate and they will work. More heat more issues, but they work. There are other brand DVRs that start beeping before I get down the ladder.

The external power supply helps by isolating the power from the DVR. The DVR has an interal power supply also.

Using the amount of DVRs installed, and separating non UPS / Line filtration (does not include power surge protectors) from non UPS / Line filtration I would tell you that there is a big difference between the two. Using a UPS / Line filtration would be highly recommended. It will help filter out noise, and momentary blips in the power line. UPS will help with brown outs (which is dangerous as spikes) and over voltage moments.

I am willing to bet that you swapped the DVR, and left the original power supply in place. The DVR may not be the problem. The external power supply may be the issue.

If you traded out the power supply with the new DVR then call an electician (customer pays) and if you did not swap the power supply then swap that out and give it a try.

I have ran in to DIY wiring and have had issues. I test with an extension cord to another area and plug it there.

For a very small price they have those testers that you can place in the wall and it will tell you if the socket is miswired.

What do you think?

First, you should make sure your video cable haven't been too close with power line, there will has signal interference.

Second, if your power supply was not stable, you should be use a UPS or somthing, then your DVR just can be working for long time. Also you need connect DVR with GND, it will be protect your DVR without striked by static.