Chrispy66

American Dynamics Question

Hi Everyone,

A friend of mine sold his security company and moved out of state. He left me two very expensive cameras which I definately appreciated due to the fact my cameras are crap. He gave me two American Dynamic Speed dome ultra 7 eis bla bla blah cameras. They didnt come with any documentation and its strange being there both brand new. I have no idea even after visiting there website, and downloading several hundred pages, how to hook these puppies up. It took me days to figure out what I even had. I knew my friend told me they were complete, but are they? The kit product number is RAS918ls. Can anyone shed light on this for me?

Thanks in advance

Chris

They have lots of inputs/ outputs... but here's the basics of what you need for them to work:

-24vAC for power.

-2 wire to hook up to a PTZ

-controller/ dvr of some kind.

-a controller or a dvr. must have sensormatic, american dynamics, or I believe pelco d will work with this cam.

-bnc cable for video to monitor/ dvr of course

-dig through the manuals and make sure the addresses/ IDs are set properly on the camera and that they match the IDs on the controller/ dvr

Looks like he left behind a complete domes... which is fine and great if only you had the controller to manage the pan tilt and zoom functions, the power supply and the appropriate cable...

Here are the basic components that you need:

1. Keyboard controller - ADTT16E - this is a keyboard and controller that once wired correctly, you can run full pan tilt and zoom on these units. - Here is what it looks like: http://cctvportal.com/ptz-cameras/controllers-keyboards/american-dynamics-adtt16e-controller-touch-tracker-sensornet-controls-up-to-16-cameras-domes.html

2. Power supply - dependent if you want to power up multiple of these domes, then you have the choice for either single unit or unit that can power up multiple domes and provide data flaw... Dependent on your answer, here are few choices - this one is for up to 6 domes: http://cctvportal.com/ptz-cameras/ptz-power-supplies/american-dynamics-rj6sn-dome-j-box-indoor-6-position-sensornet-120-230-vac.html

3. Cable - well, this is not just an ordinary cable - it contains power, data and video conforming what American Dynamics calls it S-NET protocol... This cable is expensive, but available.. Such cable can cost as much as $2.00 per foot... or less dependent on size of such cable...

Manual is here: http://americandynamics.net/WebApps/getDocument.aspx?filename=8200-0306-01_C_E.pdf - mainly covered the wiring diagram on page 11...

OR

Dependent type of other controller that you may want that may spit out Coaxitron "P" or "D" protocol, then these domes can be programmed (DIP switches on them) to work with Pelco protocol... or Panasonic protocol and others...

Thanks Guys,

I think I'm just gonna sell the cameras due to the cost involved in setting these up. I need some new cameras, but Id rather be able to pay my mortgage. I just thought due to the fact these things are like 2 grand a piece, they would be somewhat turn key in operation setup. It sounds like were talking another grand to set them up propperly. Anyways thank you for your responses and if you know anyone who wants to trade for some reasonably priced cams fot one of these beasts, let me know. Thanks again guys.

Chris

A grand? Not really...

Idk what CCTV suppliers was talking about... but special cable is not required. Good old cheap cat5e (or any UTP) for the control wires will do. If you already have a DVR or a CCTV recorder, check if it supports the right protocols. If it does, all you need is an AC power supply ($30-50) and you're good to go. No expensive or proprietary controller/ keyboard required.