Hey guys, great forum.

I am trying to get a feel as to the security industries perception of Cisco and their entry into the physical security sector.

Do you think they will be a long-term player?

Are they likely to be successful?

Is their model for CCTV likely to be adopted in the enterprise sector?

I would be interested in hearing your thoughts.

Thanks,

I've demo'd the Cisco Sypixx product (now Cisco Video Surveillance) and was totally unimpressed. Cisco doesn't have a clue how to make products that are either user-friendly or flexible enough for this market. Witness the unnecessarily complex programming required for their switches and other products. That complexity translated into their CCTV offerings as well.

Another shortcoming of Cisco is their attitude of "We have the only way to do things!" that makes them totally stubborn and inflexible in their approach to product design and marketing.

In the design area, they tend to think of everything from a proprietary point of view: preferring complex systems that require highly trained installers and programmers to set up. I believe that may be part of their philosophy, whereby they make profits from training and certifying installers and administrators.

In the marketing area, Cisco prefers to bludgeon prospective clients with the attitude of "We're Cisco. What else would you need?" While this may fly in the IT world, where Cisco has the reputation and adoring fanship of a majority, in the CCTV business, they are just another company trying to sell an overpriced and underperforming product.

Sorry for the rant, but I really resented the attitude Cisco people exhibited when I went to their factory demo. They surrounded me with marketing types who approached my many technical questions with that attitude!

Yea there are way better options out there for IP cameras then Cisco products. I think they are getting in bed with Pelco but that isn't going to help because Pelco still hasn't fingered out how to make a good IP camera yet. Tell Cisco to stick with routers and switches.

Cisco has been trying very aggressively to get a "break", but I am not sure if they understand our industry with their attitudes as survtek has first hand experience.

What is interesting is that each time they are involved in a project, it makes it easier to compete against them for many reasons besides the exorbitant prices - such as non-clear approach on the requirements of the projects, too many variables to consider, no solid answers besides "marketing fluff" and yes, you will here them stating that "We are Cisco" and that they will take care of everything.

IBM is yet another company that has been trying to make some waves and of course, the same attitudes... Their main line is not only that "We are IBM", but also that they have over 20,000+ field service professionals to get involved anywhere in U.S. and around the world for any "problems" that customer may have.

None of them care to comprehend how this industry operated in the past or it operates today - nor they have any reasonable solution that makes any sort of economical sense - a typical project that could cost lets say $100K, in their side of the numbers always are above $500K or even higher. Justification??? Well, either "We are Cisco" or "We are IBM" or "These are what they can charge and should be acceptable".

Their approach has been more helpful for their competition than for their own agenda.

There are other companies have been trying to break into this industry but keep running into a brick wall (care to comment about GE Security??)... and for a simple reason - they do not have clear comprehension how this industry operates and by assuming that they can walk and take over as they did in many IT infrastructures throughout the world.

Bosch had to buy Philips Security division and I think they have done a great job thus far and offer many complete and yet essential solutions that cover many aspects of the industry. The same could be said about Tyco International, who bought few companies along the way and they also have become a major player.. and there are few others also have done great job - they understood the market and invested wisely rather than having the attitudes that Ciscos and IBMs of the world think.