G22

Starting the garage install soon (cat5/balun or coax?)

I have all Panasonic stuff that I have been compiling for years now (older model WJ-HD316 DVR, 1 x 484 dome, 2 x 484 fixed, 1 x 474AS, 1 x 864A PTZ, 1 x 854B PTZ, MP204C Data Mux, CU360C controller).

The garage is done (except for siding) and I will be putting a 484 dome on the front top externally, and most likely a 484 fixed cam inside the garage. The electrician ran 2 x hard gray conduits underground, and one houses all the large power cables to the garage. Just wondering what would be best to run easy wise, but not sacrificing any quality. The 484 dome also has the heater/blower added. I am not sure if I will using the PTZ's, but IIRC, I had to use the RS-485 cables from the cameras, as PS-DATA (up-the-coax) did not work, for one of them at least.

The CAT5/Balun option seems nice, but would there be any potential issues (other than using crappy baluns of course)?

I have an install using identical cameras, similar fovs. 1 is using RG59, 1 cat5e and baluns. I do this for a living and can't tell the difference.

I'm sure there's some crappy baluns out there that could mislead people to believing it's a bad solution... But it's all I use now. Low budget or big budget.

Future proof is the biggest perk.

Thanks. Is RG59U becoming obsolete?

What about interference since CAT5 is unshielded? I would be running several CAT5 cables (including one for Internet access) underground to the garage, and even though the cables will be in its own hard conduit, there is another hard conduit right beside it, with all the large power cables that provides power the garage.

Can I still access the Panasonic setup menus remotely via PS-DATA (up-the-coax) when using CAT5?

Also, should I use 1-pair for video, and the remaining 3-pair for power (or is 2-pair fine for power)?

I had a look at some muxlabs baluns and was confused since there was so many. I will have to research more. I have a 19" rack to work with, and a CAT5E patch panel at top, which is nice.

rack.jpg