MiamiRob

What is Time Required to Install a Dome Camera?

Based on everyone's experience, how much time is typically required to install a typical dome camera in a hallway drywall ceiling assuming that cat6 and wiring for power (not using POE) have already been pulled through conduit from the main tech room to the installation location? Is it resonable to say, on average, that the camera could be connected to the wiring, mounted in the ceiling and aimed\focused in two hours? Or is that too much or too little time?

Thank you.

Rob

30 minutes to 1 hour max. A vandal dome may take a little longer then a standard dome.

BUT, every install is different.

It would depend on a monitor / laptop to view the camera angle, and make changes, or get down off the ladder and walk to the head end, or a nearest computer to view then walk back to make the changes, and go back to view the changes made.

It would depend of the level of "perfection" required, and the budget the customer is spending.

I would continue the install untill it is done right, and have received feedback from the customer that they are satisfied.

I would "schedule" one hour for install.

I sincerely appreciate the input. And, yes, the cameras are IP cameras.

It would depend on a monitor / laptop to view the camera angle, and make changes, or get down off the ladder and walk to the head end, or a nearest computer to view then walk back to make the changes, and go back to view the changes made.

In situations where a laptop is not able to be used because there is no wired or wireless network connection available at the camera location, (other than the connection for the camera itself) how is focusing and positioning typically handled? Assuming there are two or more people working on the install, is the person at the camera talking to another person who is looking at a monitor somewhere else on the property and getting instructions\feedback that is used to positioned and focus the camera?

In terms of wall-mounted fixed cameras and PTZs, how much time would typilcally be allocated to install each of these types of cameras assuming that confuit and cabling are already in place.

Thank you all very much.

Rob

Not sure what kind of camera you are describing.

You can bring a small POE switch as a tool in your bag. You can connect to the IP Cams that may not be powered due to power panel not installed, or in the process of being installed.

You have a separate power wire ran according to your post. You can use a long cat 6 to connect to your laptop. You will need to wire it for crossover when you put the connectors on your wire.

There are some cams that may have a composite video output, and you can connect with a battery powered CCTV monitor.

I do not find using two people and walkie talkies, or cell phones to set focus.

"keep turning....keep turning....no....go back... no, to far.......almost there.....keep going...ooops go back.....I think it is in focus?...why dont you get off the ladder, and come take a look....Hey the horizon is crooked!

You are better looking at an IP cam with a laptop right then, and there. Quick and effecient.

If it does not look right then you can make the changes to get the view you want.

Note: Look in to the background of your cameras view. Is there a ladies bathroom door that you are pointed at, or some other feature you wish to avoid? (corridor / halway mount)

In situations where a laptop is not able to be used because there is no wired or wireless network connection available at the camera location, (other than the connection for the camera itself) how is focusing and positioning typically handled?

I normally prefocus all standard FOV cameras .. that way it focused in a controlled environment for best focus, and all that is needed is adjusting at the camera. For a normal application (eg. 3.6mm, 4mm, etc) you dont have to know the target, if its a far zoom or you dont know what the FOV will be, then it gets tough. I have prefocused for years and it works great, ofcourse there is the rare occasion when I cant, such as a 30mm zoom for example. Tip, buy a viewfinder to get your distances, and prefocus it based on that. Focusing it "properly" at the location can be difficult if not impossible in many cases, especially outside in the bright sunlight or in the pitch dark with IR (IR focus, non IR lenses), and definitely if using a small LCD field monitor.

If its an IP cam you could probably do the same we sometimes do with DVRs and non IP cams, hook up a wireless router, then plug the camera into that with a short cat5 ... then use your laptop to adjust. Ive never used an IP cam though so dont quote me. With CCTV cams as scorp mentioned we focus them various ways, depends on the installer, camera, and the location.

Doing basic setup and testing on the bench is highly recommended to make sure everything's in proper working order BEFORE getting on-site (nothing like finding a DOA camera or damaged lens WHILE doing an install). Pre-focusing on the bench is a neat idea... IF you know the distance you'll be mounting the camera from the target area and can set up a similar target to focus on. That's not always easy or even possible.

For IP cams, I like to carry a cheap Wireless-N router (better range than b/g, even if your laptop only has b/g) that I plug in at or near the DVR, or into another network port within range of the camera, and then use my netbook to do the final setup on the cameras after they're in place (focus, aim, etc.)

I cannot thank everyone enough for this great information and advice. It is incredibly helpful.

PTZ cameras don't need to be focused at the camera side, do they? Can't PTZ be focused using software on the computer. Or do PTZs auto-focus?

Robert

You could thank us by writing us a check for the difference you are saving from all of are free help.

I cannot thank everyone enough for this great information and advice. It is incredibly helpful.

PTZ cameras don't need to be focused at the camera side, do they? Can't PTZ be focused using software on the computer. Or do PTZs auto-focus?

Robert

auto zoom and focus by default, you can normally adjust them manually also using the control keypad or software.

Thank you for the info, Rory.

On a fixed camera, what is the purpose of the wire that connects from the lens to the body of the camera? Is there a motor in the lens that allows the camera to be focused using software?

Robert

Thats normally the power for an Auto Iris lens, if the camera is equipped with one.

You could thank us by writing us a check for the difference you are saving from all of our free help.

I missed seeing your post when I was reading earlier today.

All I can offer is that if any of you ever need help designing or supporting a computer network or have any questions about servers, switches, routers, LANs or WANS, I will be happy to help. Also, if any if you are ever in Miami and would ever like to see my condo's security system once it is installed, I will be happy to give you a tour. In that the Ioimage PTZ lead time is about ten weeks, we will not have everything online until late July.

Working on this is one of the most interesting things I have done in a while. You all have taught me so much. Thank you.

Rob

A laptop and a pre-configured AP that you can plug into the network to focus network cameras? Absolutely invaluable:

126185_1.jpg

Alternatively, you can use wireless bridges:

126185_2.jpg

Having an easy wireless link to the camera through which you can focus and adjust the FOV is a huge time-saver.

Having an easy wireless link to the camera through which you can focus and adjust the FOV is a huge time-saver.

Thank you, Sawbones.

Rob

What im still looking for is some software that can take the video (eg over the network or plugged direct into the laptop via a USB composite device) and then tell you when it is the best focus .. yet to find this .. for all cameras not just IP .. if they have such a beast for IP cameras then perhaps we can convert to make it work with other software, see then it might just work good with a laptop as it wont matter what type of display we are using, even on a netbook

ps. i realize there is the camera master but ... big $$ and not the same idea.