crosen

What Line to Carry for Residential Surveillance

I'm a home technology integrator just getting into surveillance and would like to standardize on a line for DVR's and cameras. My projects are all residential, and involve one to eight indoor and/or outdoor cameras. I would like to be able to offer a single camera with DVR starting around $1k. Network access from smart phones (i.e. BlackBerry and iPhone, mostly) is required.

I've been looking at Speco and IC Realtime. Do these seem like suitable manufacturers for what I describe? Do I need to provide more details on typical projects? What other manufacturers should I look at? Thanks!

I'm a home technology integrator just getting into surveillance and would like to standardize on a line for DVR's and cameras. My projects are all residential, and involve one to eight indoor and/or outdoor cameras. I would like to be able to offer a single camera with DVR starting around $1k. Network access from smart phones (i.e. BlackBerry and iPhone, mostly) is required.

I've been looking at Speco and IC Realtime. Do these seem like suitable manufacturers for what I describe? Do I need to provide more details on typical projects? What other manufacturers should I look at? Thanks!

Hi crosen. another dvr/nvr to have a look at is the avermedia. being a technology intergrator going ip would be the best way. this is a first for avers. small 4 way nvr to intergrate with any software and supports most ip cameras without the need to buy licences.

http://www.avermedia.com/AVerDiGi/Product/Detail.aspx?id=203

Thanks, Tom, I will certainly give AVerMedia a look.

I do like the idea of going all IP, but one thing that troubles me is the pricing on outdoor IP cameras. It seems you can get a quality outdoor analog camera for $200 or so, but need to go closer to $700 for any kind of outdoor IP. I'm not sure I undertand why that is, given that indoor IP vs. analog does not seem to have the same disparity?

Also look at

-CNB - for IR Bullets, High Powered IR Cameras, and Many Dome types.

-KT&C - for mini Bullet cameras, and mini cube cameras and boards (such as used in hidden cameras)

-GeoVision - well known for home PC CCTV surveillance, not that cheap though. SDK available of use included ActiveX control. Skins and such very customizable.

-Intellicam - for their slimline budget DVRs with HDMI output, great .. and I mean GREAT live video with HDMI on a 32" LCD for example (recording is CIF though).

-HikVision - hardware compression PC Cards that work in Linux and Windows, up to 64 channels in one DVR - also stand alone DVRs - havent used any of them yet, but pricing is not bad. They also have impressive easy access to SDKs for their products, right on the website.

I havent really used a stand alone DVR that I can say I am really happy with yet .. the HDMI is nice in the Intellicam (also sold under other OEM brand names) but thats only CIF recording, though they do have D1 DVRs also. There are literally thousands if not hundreds of thousands of them out there though. Most always have some kind of limitation when it comes to evidence sharing compared to PC based, even the more expensive ones. I havent tried everyone though, so I am sure there is something out there that might make me happy just yet

great, thanks so much for all the info. cnb looks appealing. should i consider them for dvrs?

I cant speak for their DVRs .. as never heard any feedback on those yet.

BTW earlier today I was playing with a couple of their cameras a colleague brought in, a budget dome (380tvl) and then the cheapest monalisa dome (600tvl) .. both indoor cameras .. so easy to install .. the dome cover just snaps off with a coin (like a penny) .. and clips right back on anyway you place it, so no problem getting the insert to line up with the lens, as many can be a pain when you have to screw it back on and line it up .. but it doesnt feel cheap .. its still strong and sturdy .. fully adjustable camera inside the housing .. even on the cheapest one .. i mean its one of the cheapest ones they have .. picture was good on both of them, compared to others in the price range, though I didnt get time to do a full test. Definitely a line to consider for inexpensive domes but with quality. Dont get me wrong, they are no Panasonic or Bosch images, but you get what you pay for, and for the prices of these they really knock many of the other low to middle range brands off the shelf, least the ones I have tested/used. He also had the more expensive outdoor vandal dome but didnt get a chance to test that yet, however it looked impressive, they really go all out for such a low cost, even had a flashy user manual.

Also had a look at a color KT&C bullet, great image for something so small .. he had them outdoors and indoors .. really good image outside even in full tropical sunlight - i need to get a couple to test for myself, then i can post images on the forum. Also had a mini cube camera with a pinhole lens, and one with a microvarifical lens, tried the pinhole one, it was super small, like the size of a quarter almost .. but yet it had a good image .. definitely impressed. Although like most lower priced cameras it did have some issues with bright light such as from the florescent in the store, but adjusting it up or down or left or right just a bit helped alot.