I need something like 250mb/sec writing. RAID0 could do that, but if one hdd fails, whole archieve is lost. RAID5 - low performance.

How to solve this? Pre-motion recording CANNOT be disabled in NUOO, thats where a problem lies.

10 Arecont AV3100, 3.1mpix, 8fps.

Have you considered using RAID 10? Since you haven't mentioned anything about the pc/workstation/server that you're potentially using it makes suggesting any definitive solutions other than use fast drives and change the RAID level from 5 to the 10 the only suggestion that readily comes to mind.

I've had good luck with the Areca RAID cards, the 1231ML will easily run 800+ Mbps throughput in RAID5 or 6.

I have also used their SAS 1680IX card to run two external bays of sixteen 1.5TB drives in RAID6, and that benchmarked at 950+Mbps.

[quote="hardwired"]I've had good luck with the Areca RAID cards, the 1231ML will easily run 800+ Mbps throughput in RAID5 or 6. I have also used their SAS 1680IX card to run two external bays of sixteen 1.5TB drives in RAID6, and that benchmarked at 950+Mbps.[/quote] Does this mean that HDD throughput sums up at RAID 5 and 6? From what I read today, only in RAID0 this happens.

RAID5/6 does suffer compared to the performance of RAID0/10, but can still meet your needs, without needing the larger amount of drives, and providing redundancy.

I have our office server in RAID10, using four 1TB drives, and it's quite fast, and redundant... but you only get 1TB of storage space out of it.

Here's a review of the Areca controller on a 8 drive array http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/3051/areca_arc_1680x_pcie_eight_channel_external_sata_sas_raid_controller/index.html , I found higher performance on my 32 drive array, so it does appear that the drive performance is summed somewhat, even in RAID5/6.

Have you considered using RAID 10? Since you haven't mentioned anything about the pc/workstation/server that you're potentially using it makes suggesting any definitive solutions other than use fast drives and change the RAID level from 5 to the 10 the only suggestion that readily comes to mind.

RAID 10 is raid1 speed and raid0 mirroring combined?

So, if I need 10TB for storage and it would be RAID10, then I will need 20TB total. Am I right?

That's right, RAID10 is drives mirrored in RAID1, and then striped together in RAID0. You can also get higher throughput with RAID50 or 60, which stripes multiple RAID5 or 6 arrays in RAID0 between them, with less disks necessary than RAID10.

Are you going to be using a separate RAID controller card, or are you trying to use the motherboard capabilities? The software RAID provided by motherboards is much more limited than a controller card would be.

Are you going to be using a separate RAID controller card, or are you trying to use the motherboard capabilities? The software RAID provided by motherboards is much more limited than a controller card would be.

Looking at hardware Intel card.