dopalgangr

4ch 120fps standalone dvr with iPhone support recommendation

ive tried the budget slimline under a different OEM name (they come from Asia).

Its okay, live video is amazing using the HDMI.

Recording is only cif so its blocked and degraded. They have 1 channel D1 but thats it (in the slimline models, other ones have D1 on all channels but more $$).

Ive never used an iphone so cant speak for that.

over all its a good unit for the price, had some issues with painting delays on playback but live was fine. Ofcourse as mentioned it was not the actual Intellicam model so dont quote me on that, GUI and DVR look identical though.

I like Axis encoders......... look at the Q4704 for h.264 or 241Q for mpeg-4.

Then you can use Exacq's web 2.0 interface or the new Exacq Ipod/Ipad app.

I think you mean the Q7404.

But all that does is convert your analog video stream into an IP-based encoded video stream. You still need some kind of recorder to capture, manage, and playback the encoded video, right? So would that be a dedicated unit, a PC add-in card (hardware), or just PC-based software?

I took a quick look at Exacq and I'm guessing it's a software solution for managing the encoded video (i.e., a software "DVR"). Is that correct? But it appears their software is designed to run on a server. Their "low cost" exacqVision EL is priced over $3,000... hardly a comparable replacement for a sub-$1,000 dedicated DVR.

What am I missing here?

I like Axis encoders......... look at the Q4704 for h.264 or 241Q for mpeg-4.

Then you can use Exacq's web 2.0 interface or the new Exacq Ipod/Ipad app.

I think you mean the Q7404.

Yes sorry typo

But all that does is convert your analog video stream into an IP-based encoded video stream. You still need some kind of recorder to capture, manage, and playback the encoded video, right? So would that be a dedicated unit, a PC add-in card (hardware), or just PC-based software?

PC running Exacq software using a 4 channel encoder for analog cameras.

I took a quick look at Exacq and I'm guessing it's a software solution for managing the encoded video (i.e., a software "DVR"). Is that correct? But it appears their software is designed to run on a server. Their "low cost" exacqVision EL is priced over $3,000... hardly a comparable replacement for a sub-$1,000 dedicated DVR.

What am I missing here?

Well Exacq software will run on a Intel Atom without any problems as a server only. The Exacq EL box has a Atom processor and Exacq limits it to 24 IP cameras + 16 analog cameras. I have many installs on Atom boxes without any problems, they are reliable, cheap, low power and low noise. I have had 10 various megapixel cameras (1.3 to 8MP) working perfectly on some setups.

price = Server + 1 license + 4 channel encoder

Now you have a enterprise class, future prof NVR that works with Windows, Linux, Mac, every web browser, and web enabled smart phones at a great price point.

Well Exacq software will run on a Intel Atom without any problems as a server only.
An Intel Atom server? Now that's an oxymoron! The Atom processor was designed specifically for netbooks and other low-power (and lower-performance) mobile internet devices.

The Exacq EL box has a Atom processor
I honestly cannot imagine how a company can justify designing (and pricing) a $3,000 "server" based on a processor intended for low-cost/low-performance consumer netbooks. I think the low-power "green" marketing is just a gimick to justify putting an underpowered processor into an overpriced "server". Is there really anything special about the exacqVision EL? Or is it basically just a dedicated rackmounted PC appliance? If so, then for what it is, the processor should be at least desktop grade, or the price should be substantially less.

Now you have a enterprise class, future prof NVR that works with Windows, Linux, Mac, every web browser, and web enabled smart phones at a great price point.

So I assume the Exacq software can perform on any standard desktop PC running WinXP, Vista, or Win7? If so, why would anyone shell out $3,000 for the exacqVision EL? If it's an enterprise rackmount system you're looking for, you could buy a 1U rack-mounted Dell PowerEdge R200 with an Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 2GB RAM, and dual 160GB hard drives for $550.

But I am intrigued by the use of using a PC-based software solution over a dedicated DVR. So...

1. So how much does the Exacq software license cost? Is it a one-time purchase or a annual fee?

2. How much does an Axis Q7404 4-channel encoder cost?

Well Exacq software will run on a Intel Atom without any problems as a server only.
An Intel Atom server? Now that's an oxymoron! The Atom processor was designed specifically for netbooks and other low-power (and lower-performance) mobile internet devices.

The Exacq EL box has a Atom processor
I honestly cannot imagine how a company can justify designing (and pricing) a $3,000 "server" based on a processor intended for low-cost/low-performance consumer netbooks. I think the low-power "green" marketing is just a gimick to justify putting an underpowered processor into an overpriced "server". Is there really anything special about the exacqVision EL? Or is it basically just a dedicated rackmounted PC appliance? If so, then for what it is, the processor should be at least desktop grade, or the price should be substantially less.

Why do you need to use a faster processor if the Atom works fine?

Look around and find a 16 channel + 24 IP channel DVR that records at D1 all channels that only uses 40watts of power, works with Windows, Linux, Mac, all web browser and smart phones, 3 year warranty and expandable from 1 camera to thousands of cameras at thousands of locations. Let me know if you find anything.

So I assume the Exacq software can perform on any standard desktop PC running WinXP, Vista, or Win7? If so, why would anyone shell out $3,000 for the exacqVision EL? If it's an enterprise rackmount system you're looking for, you could buy a 1U rack-mounted Dell PowerEdge R200 with an Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 2GB RAM, and dual 160GB hard drives for $550.

But I am intrigued by the use of using a PC-based software solution over a dedicated DVR. So...

1. So how much does the Exacq software license cost? Is it a one-time purchase or a annual fee? $150 per license + a optional $25 yearly upgrade fee

2. How much does an Axis Q7404 4-channel encoder cost? I think $1000.00 /quote]

If the Atom works fine, then why do the requirements for the Exacq VMS software specify that the server have an "Intel® Dual Core Pentium E2160, 1.8 GHz or greater"?

Look around and find a 16 channel + 24 IP channel DVR that records at D1 all channels that only uses 40watts of power, works with Windows, Linux, Mac, all web browser and smart phones, 3 year warranty and expandable from 1 camera to thousands of cameras at thousands of locations. Let me know if you find anything.

Ok, I just looked at the exacqVision EL and discovered it includes 16 analog inputs. So that means it's more than just a "server"; it's also an analog video encoder. So I guess $3,000 is not too bad a price considering an Axis Q7404 4-ch encoder costs $1,000. Still, I think a better option would be to build your own system based on the Exacq VMS software as you suggested.

1. So how much does the Exacq software license cost? Is it a one-time purchase or a annual fee? $150 per license + a optional $25 yearly upgrade fee

Yep, I was searching around and came up with those same prices. That encoder is expensive! If starting with a new system, then I think it would be better to skip the encoder and just go with IP-based cameras. On the other hand, I really like the specs of the CNB VBM-24VF MonaLisa and V1167NVF WDR cameras. But damn, $1,000 for just 4-channels? So what IP cams are in the same performance and price class as the CNB cams?

Also, the best price I found for the VMS Software was $139. But it was listed as "VMS Software 1-Channel". So does that mean you can only monitor one camera? How much does it cost to add additional channels?

If the Atom works fine, then why do the requirements for the Exacq VMS software specify that the server have an "Intel® Dual Core Pentium E2160, 1.8 GHz or greater"?

server/client specs

Ok, I just looked at the exacqVision EL and discovered it includes 16 analog inputs. So that means it's more than just a "server"; it's also an analog video encoder. So I guess $3,000 is not too bad a price considering an Axis Q7404 4-ch encoder costs $1,000. Still, I think a better option would be to build your own system based on the Exacq VMS software as you suggested.

You don't have to use the Q7401 look at the 240Q for 499 or Vivotek or Acti for less

Yep, I was searching around and came up with those same prices. That encoder is expensive! If starting with a new system, then I think it would be better to skip the encoder and just go with IP-based cameras. On the other hand, I really like the specs of the CNB VBM-24VF MonaLisa and V1167NVF WDR cameras. But damn, $1,000 for just 4-channels? So what IP cams are in the same performance and price class as the CNB cams?

Also, the best price I found for the VMS Software was $139. But it was listed as "VMS Software 1-Channel". So does that mean you can only monitor one camera? How much does it cost to add additional channels?

Mind posting a link for the $139?

server/client specs
I don't know what you mean by that answer, but the requirement I quoted was for the server's processor, not the client's. Client requirements are "Intel® Celeron® Processor 420 at 1.6 GHz or greater" (Windows).

You don't have to use the Q7401 look at the 240Q for 499 or Vivotek or Acti for less
But don't you need the Q7404 to get quality H.264 compression / full frame rate / D1 resolution encoding? Are there lesser-priced encoders that produce similar quality?

http://www.midwestsurveillance.com/exacq-evip01-p/evip-01.htm?gclid=CMzYpquyy6ECFRmjagodrA5VfA

They're listing it on sale for $10 off. (I hope I'm not getting them in trouble by posting this here.)

Anyway, I still don't know what they mean by "1-Channel" on the software. Can you explain?

server/client specs
I don't know what you mean by that answer, but the requirement I quoted was for the server's processor, not the client's. Client requirements are "Intel® Celeron® Processor 420 at 1.6 GHz or greater" (Windows).

But don't you need the Q7404 to get quality H.264 compression / full frame rate / D1 resolution encoding? Are there lesser-priced encoders that produce similar quality?

http://www.midwestsurveillance.com/exacq-evip01-p/evip-01.htm?gclid=CMzYpquyy6ECFRmjagodrA5VfA

They're listing it on sale for $10 off. (I hope I'm not getting them in trouble by posting this here.)

Anyway, I still don't know what they mean by "1-Channel" on the software. Can you explain?

That is a license for one channel. You want 10 channels you need 10 license.

bear in mind the OP is probably looking for a price comparable to the avtech or avermedia 1304

also I had this discussion regarding the atom with thewireguys before, he is mostly using it as a server only, just recording, no live video, also the new atom and I think the one thewireguys is using(?), is supposed to be much faster then the ones used in most netbooks. Its like Intel switching from the Pentium Dual Cores to Core 2 Duos and now they have the Dual Cores again but much faster and less current then the old ones. Also like comapring the old celerons to the new ones. I guess the Atoms will keep getting faster as time goes on. After all its just a name. I was also shocked after using many Atom based netbooks which were dead slow, that he was using that CPU for a video server.

thewireguys, a colleague here is very energy conscious and has recently turned his entire alarm monitoring company over to solar, as well as switched out all the computers to imacs ($$$$) ... less current but still core 2 duos ... all in one computers and all wireless network except the monitoring PC. . plus local warranty on them here ... we put XP on most of them BTW due to the software requirements (no bootcamp or virtual) and run them at low power (1.5 ghz). Anyway I am sure him and you would get along on this subject

That is a license for one channel. You want 10 channels you need 10 license.

Please clarify. So the licensing only allows you to connect/record/monitor one cam per channel? If so, then that's a very expensive solution. That would mean if you wanted the equivalent of a 16-ch dedicated DVR, you'd have to pay $2,224 in licensing fees! Is the $25 annual upgrade fee per channel also?

I was actually thinking about going with the Exacq solution, but not at $140-$150 per channel!

bear in mind the OP is probably looking for a price comparable to the avtech or avermedia 1304

also I had this discussion regarding the atom with thewireguys before, he is mostly using it as a server only, just recording, no live video, also the new atom and I think the one thewireguys is using(?), is supposed to be much faster then the ones used in most netbooks.

Its like Intel switching from the Pentium Dual Cores to Core 2 Duos and now they have the Dual Cores again but much faster and less current then the old ones. Also like comapring the old celerons to the new ones. I guess the Atoms will keep getting faster as time goes on. After all its just a name. I was also shocked after using many Atom based netbooks which were dead slow, that he was using that CPU for a video server.

thewireguys, a colleague here is very energy conscious and has recently turned his entire alarm monitoring company over to solar, as well as switched out all the computers to imacs ($$$$) ... less current but still core 2 duos ... all in one computers and all wireless network except the monitoring PC. . plus local warranty on them here ... we put XP on most of them BTW due to the software requirements (no bootcamp or virtual) and run them at low power (1.5 ghz). Anyway I am sure him and you would get along on this subject

Yes server only Atom 330. There is a newer Atom out but I haven't heard of any big improvements.

Exacq will shut them down for selling below MSRP. Also they will not support any product bought from them.

Exacq will shut them down for selling below MSRP. Also they will not support any product bought from them.

So Exacq will punish the end-user by not supporting the software after it had been legitimately purchsed from an authorized dealer because that dealer had a $10 off sale? Nice.

So Exacq will punish the end-user by not supporting the software after it had been legitimately purchsed from an authorized dealer because that dealer had a $10 off sale? Nice.

Doesn't say anywhere that they are authorized dealer and if they where they would not be selling below MSRP.

Doesn't say anywhere that they are authorized dealer and if they where they would not be selling below MSRP.

If they're not an authorized dealer, how are they getting the sofware to sell? Are you suggesting that they are selling pirated software?

In any case, how is an end-user to know what the MSRP is, or whether or not that reseller is an authorized dealer? If exacq has a gripe, they would need to take it out on the dealer, not on the end-user. Unless exacq can prove that an end-user knowingly purchased illegal software, then they would have to support the end-user's purchase. Otherwise they'd be setting themselves up for a lawsuit.

If they're not an authorized dealer, how are they getting the sofware to sell? Are you suggesting that they are selling pirated software?

In any case, how is an end-user to know what the MSRP is, or whether or not that reseller is an authorized dealer? If exacq has a gripe, they would need to take it out on the dealer, not on the end-user. Unless exacq can prove that an end-user knowingly purchased illegal software, then they would have to support the end-user's purchase. Otherwise they'd be setting themselves up for a lawsuit.

No the are not selling pirated software. They are advertising below MSRP which is a no no. Are you an end user or in the biz?