SpyGuy10

Best way to securely mount a dome to a drywall ceiling?

I need to install a couple of dome cameras in the pilot's lounge of a private airport. I'm planning on using CNB VBM-24VD cams (based on what I've read about these cams in this forum).

Access to the lounge is restricted to the airport's tenants and their guests, so it's not an area open to the general public. On the other hand, these are not being installed within a private home either. So I feel the mounting should be more secure than simply attaching them to the sheetrock. But looking at the user manual for this cam, the mounting instructions only discuss screwing the base to a wall or ceiling surface. Of course if it can be screwed into a ceiling joist, that would be stronger than just into sheetrock, but that would be a maximum of two screws in the joist, and there may be problems with routing the cables out the back of the cam.

Any recommendations?

First of all, I'd go with the VCM-* models - I've put tons of these into drywall ceilings. They have the extra back protrusion for flush-mounting, that fits a 3-1/8" hole.

First, I cut out a 4x4" piece of 1/4" or 3/8" plywood, drill a 3-1/8" hole in the center, then cut it in half (so I have two 2x4" pieces with a semi-circular cutout).

Then I drill the 3-1/8" hole in the ceiling.

Then I slip the two halves of the board through the hole and lay them to either side of the hole, and secure them with a couple of 1" drywall screws (these only need to hold the boards until the camera is in place).

The boards provide a good solid backing to mount the camera using 1-1/4" or longer screws (drywall screws, wood screws, whatever suits... just not the drill-tip screws that come with the cameras).

Too bad I don't have pictures of the design and process...

I would try and get at least one good long screw in a joist. Its drywall so don't put to much effort into it. You could go to the attic an attach a 2*4 between the joists, drill a hole for the wire, and mount the camera to it.

One other idea: I don't know about the VBM-* models, but the mounting holes in the VCM-* cameras match up to a 4x4" double-gang box - you can attach a box to a joist and then mount the camera in that. You don't even need access to the ceiling space, just get the type of box that's designed to be mounted in existing walls.

How high is the ceiling? In my experience, if someone wants to steal or vandalize a camera, they will. Baseball bats, spraypaint, ladders, it doesn't matter how, they will do it

First of all, I'd go with the VCM-* models

Correct me if I'm wrong, but looking at the dimensional drawings on CNB's website, it appears that the only difference between the VBM and VCM models are that the VCM cams are 14.5mm [~9/16"] shorter (101mm height vs. 86.5mm exposed height). That's not much of a difference and the VCM will limit intstallation options.

What am I missing here?

The boards provide a good solid backing to mount the camera using 1-1/4" or longer screws (drywall screws, wood screws, whatever suits... just not the drill-tip screws that come with the cameras).

Too bad I don't have pictures of the design and process...

No pictures necessary. I can understand what you are doing. Using the wood boards as a backer will certainly improve the mounting strength versus just screwing into the drywall (or using drywall anchors). And that will help keep the cameras well-mounted to the drywall (no chance of accidental or casual pullout). But it really won't stop someone from ripping it off the wall or ceiling.

How high is the ceiling? In my experience, if someone wants to steal or vandalize a camera, they will. Baseball bats, spraypaint, ladders, it doesn't matter how, they will do it

Yep, if someone really wants to damage or disable the cams, little will stop them. I'm concerned more about someone prying them off the ceiling and walking off with them.

First of all, I'd go with the VCM-* models

Correct me if I'm wrong, but looking at the dimensional drawings on CNB's website, it appears that the only difference between the VBM and VCM models are that the VCM cams are 14.5mm [~9/16"] shorter (101mm height vs. 86.5mm exposed height). That's not much of a difference and the VCM will limit intstallation options.

What am I missing here?

They actually provide more installation options, as they also come with a back-box for surface-mount installation. Without the backbox though, you can countersink them somewhat into the ceiling through that 3-1/8" hole, which makes for a slightly lower profile installation.

No, it's not a huge difference, but it does provide one or two more options that way. And for me at least, that 3-1/8" hole is just big enough squeeze my hand through to feel around for wires

Yep, if someone really wants to damage or disable the cams, little will stop them. I'm concerned more about someone prying them off the ceiling and walking off with them.

It's not all that easy to simply pull them down, especially with the wood backing - they housings themselves are a smooth surface so you can't just grab and pull. Getting a screwdriver or something in behind would mean having to get fairly close to the camera - on a standard 8' ceiling, most people would barely be able to reach the camera without standing on something, let alone get some sort of prise in behind it.

That said, if you have access to the ceiling space, you can always use a larger sheet of wood, and even brace it off the joists...

Yeah, I was kinda thinking that too - in a private lounge, how much vandalism is there, really??

Anyway, it's difficult in most setups like these to pull a camera down without it capturing the culprit... or without the other camera capturing the deed.

If someone wants badly enough to remove or damage the camera, they'll do it... a simple wood backing will make it difficult enough that it will make it a hassle and give you a chance to get some video of the perp.