wirefox

Arecont Camera and manual lens - this noob needs help please

A noob here that has basically worked with just AXIS cameras and no need to add a manual lens. Just plug in basically.

Have my hands on a couple of Areconts. An Av5105 and an AV 3135. They gave me MPl4-10 (4.4mm-10mm) lenses.

But what I can't figure out is when I add the lenses, they are super blurry despite how much I fiddle with the focus, iris, zoom.

I feel so humbled.

Would someone please be so kind to point me the right way?

Thanks in advance.

All the Areconts I've dealt with come with thin "shim" rings that you put between the lens and the camera body to space them out.

Why they couldn't just make the lens mount itself a little deeper is beyond me...

You could check to see if those cameras have a backfocus adjustment (lets you adjust the position of the sensor).

Soundy. Thank you so much. I will check

on that tomorrow when I get back in the office.

"You could check to see if those cameras have a backfocus adjustment (lets you adjust the position of the sensor)."

May I please ask

how do you find/know if it has a

backfocus adjuster?

Again my sincere thanks.

Wirefox

Sounds like some kind of C/CS problem. try to add/remove the 5mm spacer ring between camera and lens ( if there is one, remove it, if there is no ,add one).

the thin space will affect the focusing for infinity.

I guess, their lens mount is machined for the exact 17.526mm back focusing plane. however, if they put an IR cutting filter between sensor and lens, they will have use longer distance (17.526+0.1mm?, depends on thickness of filter).

Soundy. Thank you so much. I will check

on that tomorrow when I get back in the office.

"You could check to see if those cameras have a backfocus adjustment (lets you adjust the position of the sensor)."

May I please ask

how do you find/know if it has a

backfocus adjuster?

Again my sincere thanks.

Wirefox

It depends on the camera, there are numerous different ways it's implemented, although from my limited experience with Arecont, I'd say they probably don't (hence the shims). Best way to find out is RTFM - Read The Fine Manual.

Honestly, from my experience, Areconts are a marvel of half-arsed engineering... it's almost as if every separate piece is designed by a different engineer and none of them ever talk to each other; they just make their piece and then pass the camera on to the next guy with no documentation.

Hmm, come to think of it... I don't know about your models specifically, but in the 3155DN domes I've used, the backfocus (the distance between the back of the lens and the sensor) can be adjusted by turning the ring that the lens actually mounts to - you have to use one of the supplied Allen keys (of the three, since they apparently couldn't standardize on one size) to loose the three screws (two of which are on odd angles and not easy to find) so you can turn the ring to move it closer to or further from the sensor.