3RDIGLBL

exacq Recommended Hardware

OK, I understand why exacq does it but why!? There is no hardware spec listed anywhere on there website regarding CPU loading and recommended hardware for a specific amount of cameras. Let's say I want 32 cameras all running MP so strictly IP, I want two gigE NIC's and would like to know what the recommended hardware is for Motherboard, CPU, NIC's, Video Card, Memory Size etc...

NUUO at least has all this info along with tested hardware so as long as you stick with that you should be good. I'm looking to do a Linux based server setup....taking a chance here because it has been about a decade since I last used Linux in depth.

I refuse to pay exacq for there highly over priced server and crazy margins per terabyte added. WOW when I saw that I figure I'm in the wrong business. I might as well build my own. I'm thinking a Core 2 QUAD with 4G Ram as a starter should do me fine.

Anyone with hardware recommendations for 32 cameras and linux based OS (Ubuntu 6.03 is latest supported with 8.04 soon I read) running exacq server and webservices. I will be installing the client as well but it will not be autostarted.

Thanks

Exacq is almost totally limited by NIC and disk storage throughput as opposed to processor horsepower, you'll almost never come close to hitting even wimpy processor limits in almost any installs.

BTW, Exacq has really helpful tech support, you might just want to call them about it.

I'd thought about biting the bullet and spending the money for Exacq's hybrid server, until I figured out that you could add a 16 channel Acti encoder to your own box for much less, and only need one license for the encoder (as opposed to Milestone, and others, who charge by the channel).

I have a 62 channel system retrofit/upgrade quoted that way right now, with the encoder and a mix of standard res IP and 1.3,3, and 8MP cams (Acti, Panasonic, and Arecont AV8365's), with a WHOLE lot of storage (48TB), but only a single Xeon processor (and the Exacq guy said that processor might be overkill!). It is a very fast RAID storage system, though.

Unless you are going with really high framerates on all the cams, I'd think what you are suggesting for a system should be fine.

3RDIGLBL,

As server, just for recording it can run even on Atom in some cases, but its all about client PC spec and live view, thats where you need crap load of CPU power. To display some 30 megapixel cameras live view at some 8fps - thats where fun starts. Their tech support should be able to answer this.

Server only it will run on less then a atom. The EL box is has an atom in it and exacq limits it to 24 ip cameras. Also have Exacq running on 9.04 and 9.10 without any problems.

Edited by Guest

yeah not related to IP cams in particular, and not related to Exacq , but i have an app viewing 49 cameras in one screen, just live display, mixed Geo DVRs, axis cams, and Acti cams ... fine on my P4 3.0Ghz .. even better on a core 2 duo 3.0Ghz i-mac. On a 600Mhz Celeron netbook with 2GB of RAM it is slower, switching from small window to larger window is slower, like it is slow drawing everything, though not unbearable. Also on a really old 2.12 Pentium with 224MB of ram and a poor display adapter, it is even slower ..to the point that it almost hangs as it is switched between the windows, literally could be unbearable. On the 2.12 it is obviously lacking CPU and RAM, probably also has a dying 5400rpm hard drive it is trying to page to .. but bottom line is when i view only 16 cameras, still connected to 49 cameras but hidden from the display, it is fast on both. While viewing all 49 cameras the CPU usage on the netbook runs around 80%, on my P4 3.0ghz, only around 10%, even less on the Core 2 Duo 3.0ghz. Dont know if this helps you any as Exacq will obviously be different, but thought I would throw it out there anyway.