fas

What is the best way to modulate residential cctv?

I have a client who has digital cable and an analog cctv system. I want to connect the dvr to the cable system so they can view the cameras on the tv's throughout the house. What is the best way to accomplish this? I haven't done this since before the digital days so I am a little out of the loop.

i'm not really up on cable type systems but easiest way is just to put analog in on an unused frequency range. make sure that range is blocked so you don't back feed to everyone else up the street.

depends on what input you have to the tv's, you should be able to split that signal back out and go into the tv's analog RF input.

the big problem is trying to find a frequency or preferably a band that isn't used thats big enough to fit the amount of channels you want down it.

The signals are no longer analog, and they are now digital. Throwing in a modulated signal may trash Hi Def signals, or keep the DVR from communicating with the head end server. This will cause on demand video and other services to fail.

The best way is to have an electrical A/B switch in line. The normal feed goes through, and then you can switch the A/B switch, and then you modulated signal can travel to the TV.

You can have individual switches on each line going to each TV.

You can put the switch at the head end, but all TVs will see the camera video (if they are on the right channel otherwise you will have snow) and will not be able to watch the shows in progress.

The A/B switch operate off of IR commands. The IR equipment attaches to the coax and sends the signals to be A or B via the coax.

Depending on your cable company, you may have a 'Security Camera' channel (used primarily in apartments and such).

I'm in Canada, and Shaw cable's digital set tops (Motorola) convert analog Ch #117 to Digital Channel #399

That may be an option, however I believe channels may vary from region to region.

Thanks. Scorp, you're right. Channel Vision makes this type of device. I have to see if I have a cable going to the tv though. Do you have a diagram of how the setup looks?

It may depend, too, on whether the cable system is FULLY digital or not. Around here, on Shaw Cable, channels up to 59 are still analog and can be tuned on any TV with a cable-ready tuner. Channels beyond that require the digital set-top box; however, they do provide a channel marked "SECURITY CAMERA" on channel 116 (which should also be tune-able on most cable-ready analog TVs).

Thanks Scorp. I'll most likely go with one of them. Only bad thing is if customer is recording on the dvr it will get interrupted.