eleewhm

Wireless security systems

any comments.. on which i should go for??

GE Choice Alert Wireless

Security Man AIR-ALARM1 systems

or MACE wireless systems

or should i just bite the bullet and go for a GE Simon 3 Wireless Security System

i am thinking of installing one unit in my house with some basic PIR , door / window sensor and garage door sensor

We don't deal with wireless... but we use GE security products a lot with pretty good success. I would stick to them as they are a big company with a solid background in security products. I'd stay away from those Mickey Mouse looking security products like the others you listed. Looks like trouble and no support.

I have installed many DSC wireless systems and they work very well. We would wire the motions and use wireless for the doors and windows. The wireless motions eat batteries.

Ive installed tons of Ademco Wireless Alarm Systems over the past decade or so .. from small homes to huge concrete mansions .. they work well. Their Wireless motions have a battery save mode, so cuts down on that in areas with heavy traffic. But we would use wired motions where ever possible anyway as they are typically better, such as the rokonet ones, infact if it can be done with wired that is always best. I dont do as much alarms anymore, but i still maintain a client with 2 separate alarm systems and about 40 wireless zones plus a dozen or so hardwired, on each panel. One thing I do have to say about it though, the lithium batteries are not cheap! I've hooked up their wireless transmitters to just about everything, from windows, doors, optex beams, garage doors (eg with overhead door switch), etc .. in places where we still used hardwired devices, just using the tx to send it back to the panel.

Ive used some Visonic Powermax in the past also and they were decent, had Wireless repeaters and also wireless sirens, which Ademco did not, but not sure if I can recommend them right now.

sure thing guys... will take your inputs in...

yes my initial worry is also about battery life and 3.6V lithium cells are not cheap ... especially the ones that are used in the sensors....

but then again.. using wired is also tough with a current dwelling .. many trunking may have to be run...

a long shot thought... can i use a combination of wired sensor .. then wiring it to one wireless contact ??

i have sort of decided to get the SIMON models.. now its the XT or the SIMON 3

Yes, done that hundreds of times, as mentioned for overhead door switches (garages, etc), windows (where one tx covers multiple windows, in series, or a tx with 2 switches, a wireless and a wired, depends what you are covering), yard beams (power them using high voltage socket and a 12V battery in a large weatherproof box), etc. It can cut down on the overall cost, though ofcourse might be less cosmetic in some cases.

The Lithium batteries can last a long time, depends on usage, like a busy front door will get the most wear, but buy them wholesale and keep some on hand. Get yourself a meter to so you can test them occasionally, and test each zone in general and the siren and if monitoring test that they get the signal, though the alarm system should tell you when the battery is low, as well as if it cant send the signal to the CMS.

Yes, done that hundreds of times, as mentioned for overhead door switches (garages, etc), windows (where one tx covers multiple windows, in series, or a tx with 2 switches, a wireless and a wired, depends what you are covering), yard beams (power them using high voltage socket and a 12V battery in a large weatherproof box), etc. It can cut down on the overall cost, though ofcourse might be less cosmetic in some cases.

The Lithium batteries can last a long time, depends on usage, like a busy front door will get the most wear, but buy them wholesale and keep some on hand. Get yourself a meter to so you can test them occasionally, and test each zone in general and the siren and if monitoring test that they get the signal, though the alarm system should tell you when the battery is low, as well as if it cant send the signal to the CMS.

roy thanks!!! quick response...

what brand of magnetic switches would you recommend for series connection...

Its been a while, literally I havent installed an alarm system other then mine in a few years (I left the alarm industry to do CCTV) .. but basically we used the 100-T white switches for most jobs (yes in series also), but they have the large ones also like for those wide gaps and steel doors, and then ofcourse there are recessed and overhead door switches, and actually a ton more for different types of applications. Ive also used the real mini ones on occasion, but only if needed to. Basically depends on the doors/windows. We've series-ed (spelling?) everything from contacts to motions, its all about what the client could afford. Down here though we normally used one good model from each major type, as cant import everything. Done alot of screens also. And we use the regular white 2 pair solid Telco wire. Actually I have a box of gray right now as it was half the price. Though you could use UTP/cat5 also.

http://www.grisk.com/surface_mount/100.html

http://www.grisk.com/surface_mount/4532.html

http://www.grisk.com/surface_mount/129.html

http://www.grisk.com/surface_mount/28.html

here is a list of all the GRI stuff:

http://www.grisk.com/security_products.html

I would go for a DSC power 1864 system, I have installed many, it is one of the best systems out there. The systems with the added wireless work well and I have had the batteries last for many years for all alarm units......stay away from the all in one units they offer very limmited security, if you use monitoring {a hammer shuts them down fast}