silviusasa

Recover video from CPcam DVR

Hi all... i`m posting here as my last resort. I have a problem with a CPcam dvr (i don`t really know the model... it`s not mine but i`l get it soon) my problem is this: an idiot formated the hdd and now there`s nothing left... i`ve tryed recovering the data, but i only get raw files with the extension .swf and some .gz files...problably the audio(i suppose flash) and i can`t open the files... i`ve been researching the internet for players, softwares, or any other way to recover the footage... from what i can understand the files can only be played on the dvr... but it keeps saying that there`s no data... i suppose that`s because when i connect the hdd in the pc i can`t even open the partition.... the pc doesn`t recongnizes the partition... is there any way i can recover the files? pls help

No, In most cases formatted partitions CAN be recovered. Depending on the file system type this can be somewhat difficult. If it is FAT,NTFS or HFS it isnt a problem. Unless you know what you are doing dont play with it anymore. 50.00 recovery software will not do it either in most cases. You need to rebuild the partition using a hex editor. Very simple....2 hex numbers can be changed and there is your partition!!

i don`t really know what partition the dvr uses.. when i try to connect the hhd it says that it`s not activated..so from windows i can`t do nothing.. i`ve tryed recovering the files with easus data recovery but all i get are raw files wich i cannot open... but i`m thinking that if i recover some files.. not all of them... will i be able to play them to a pc or even the dvr?btw it`s a 4ch cpcam dvr

Most DVR's use embedded Linux software. If You don't use Linux but i.e. Windows, You'll see nothing. Try to use Windows Commander or some other software that supports previewing other system partitions (I believe DVR uses ext3 system). Then You can try to recover what was left on formatted DVR using special programs.

Files You can see on the HDD formatted by DVR are empty containers for to-be-compressed video streams. Putting it this way: DVR has much work compressing the files, so he cant build the structure on HDD each time he has some data, that's why he pre-defines it when formatting HDD. Therefore simple software You can get from internet, some DIY recover Your HDD may not be enough to restore the files that were erased.

Finally I'd recommend VLC media player to open video files taken out from DVR, if You dont have dedicated player.