datadork

Camera Recommendation / lens / =D

Hello,

To make this as straight forward as possible.

Requirement: IP/POE Dome - Able to visibly view the dollar signs or printed letters/#'s

Locatiom: 7 Ft above 2 cash registers (restaurant)

I have tried mobotix and axis visions cams. However, unless I go ptz, i am unable to view the dollar signs. I have been told by a mobotix sales employee that the lens needs to be changed out to attain the desired requirements. Camera advised was the D12 with telephoto lenses (2 cameras 1 dome) its been some time and I haven't heard from the rep yet. I just sent out another email today.

Can anyone recommend such a camera that would meet my needs?

I dont like the mobotix software at all.. doesnt work well with Win7 64bit .. I do enjoy the Axis software and have been using the geovision software for a few years now. I prefer to go with Axis cameras but does anyone know if the axis lens can be changed out ?

Im a bit lost on what to decide .. its not like i can walk into best buy, test the product and return it same day .. hope someone can bring some experience to this post.

Thank you!

Do you want to do this with one camera, or are you willing to use two (one per register)?

How large is the area you need to cover (ie. the area the bills will be within)?

If you must have one camera for both registers, how far apart arethe registers?

What lenses have you tried already, on what cameras?

I recommend to choose a required camera resolution in pixels per foot (resolution to recognize your dollar sign Probably 250 px/ft is enough )

And then to calculate the required camera resolution and find suitable lens.

I camera prefered but 2 cameras is fine as long as its within a reasonable price.

budget per register cam is roughly 700-900. register distance between eachother is about 5 ft.

cameras used are Q24 Msec, and axis 223m / 212 ptz..

returned the Q24 mobotix and kept the axis 223M /212 ptz.

keep in mind, we plan on using the 223m/212 ptz for other areas of the restaurant now.

we are strictly looking for dome style above the cash registers.

Do you want to do this with one camera, or are you willing to use two (one per register)?

How large is the area you need to cover (ie. the area the bills will be within)?

If you must have one camera for both registers, how far apart arethe registers?

What lenses have you tried already, on what cameras?

^What he said

The 223m would do the job with the appropriate lens... what lens is appropriate would depend on how high the ceiling is (ie. how far the camera is from the registers).

Thanks for the link.. I really like axis cameras and their software,,

anyone know what lens is needed..

camera mounted 7 ft away from the register.. registers sit about 5 ft apart from each other.

Thanks for the link.. I really like axis cameras and their software,,

anyone know what lens is needed..

camera mounted 7 ft away from the register.. registers sit about 5 ft apart from each other.

Using the lens calculator here: http://www.isorainbow.com/lens_calc.htm

Assuming a 1/3" sensor, 7' away, to cover a 5' wide area, you'd need a 6.8mm lens. Since you probably want to cover the registers as well, add another 2-3 ft. to that, that would be 4.3mm. Really, not enough to get a lot of detail unless you get into a >5MP camera. You're probably going to need two cameras...

So if I understand you correct.. I would need a 6.8mm lens per camera to view an object @ 7 ft away.

Now, would this config provide the detail needed, the dollar amount ?

Im going to call up axis and talk to a rep and provide the info gathered here..

Thank you! =D

So if I understand you correct.. I would need a 6.8mm lens per camera to view an object @ 7 ft away.

Not exactly. A 6.8mm focal length, at 7' away, you'll see an area about 5' wide. Move the camera farther away, you get a wider view. Whether it's detailed enough to read the money clearly will depend on the resolution of the camera - ie. how many pixels that area is divided across.