ytsejam

Avtech 791 keeps cleaning hdd on boot

I've bought an Avtech AVC791 DVR and it works quite well.

The problem is that every time I reboot the device, a message box with the text "Cleaning HDD" appears and all the videos are deleted.

Is this the normal behaviour? Can I disable this feature?

I do not know if you are a "end user", or if you are a dealer.

The difference is having some experience, tools, and hard drives on hand.

I would take the hard drive out. I would take another hard drive that is brand new and never installed in to a computer. Take it straight out of the package, and install it in the DVR.

I am only guessing. There may be some bad sectors on the hard drive or this may have been a hard drive that had been connected to a PC.

This is only a guess.

I would find the behaviour odd.

Check to see if the time is correct. When it reboots does the time go to a factory default time?

This may be the kind of DVR that formats the hard drive when the time is changed. It does this because if you change the time on the DVR it can no longer find the video footage that you are looking for.

I am only stabbing at the dark!

Check the time issue first then change the hard drive. The hard drive may have a power problem causing the DVR to format. This is a second reason to pull the hard drive.

What do you think?

The hard disk was previously used on a PC; from what you say maybe the DVR recognizes some sectors (for example in the MBR) and thinks the HDD must be erased.

The time remains correct after every reboot, so the problem must be in the hard-disk.

Tomorrow I'll try to erase the hard disk filling every sector with zeros.

Thank you for your quick answer!

what make/model hardrive?

some hardrives are to slow in spinning up so the DVR thinks its corrupt/fresh and reformats it.

what make/model hardrive?

It's a WD 160Gb 5400rpm 2.5'' SATA drive.

Today I installed the hard disk on my laptop and booted with a live linux distro.

The DVR had overwritten one of the existing partition with its own data and the other partitions were left untouched.

I deleted all the partitions and now it works correctly!