bob the b

Remote viewing

Hi all,

im trying to get my head around remotely viewing my camera's over the internet ,say in a different country?

There seem to be various ways to do this(Rory's ipaq was so cool)

If i buy a dvr with lan enabled , or a dedicated video server, can remote viewing be possible with a dynamic ip or do you need a static?

Also if you need a static do you give the static to the dvr or the pc?

I think no.ip.com can help in redirecting if you need a static but im not entirely sure how its done.

Also to connect to your router or dvr remotely do you need the software on the pc or ipaq you are using or in some cases can you view the cameras directly from ie on any machine?

So many questions i know

Hi all,

im trying to get my head around remotely viewing my camera's over the internet ,say in a different country?

There seem to be various ways to do this(Rory's ipaq was so cool)

If i buy a dvr with lan enabled , or a dedicated video server, can remote viewing be possible with a dynamic ip or do you need a static?

Also if you need a static do you give the static to the dvr or the pc?

I think no.ip.com can help in redirecting if you need a static but im not entirely sure how its done.

Also to connect to your router or dvr remotely do you need the software on the pc or ipaq you are using or in some cases can you view the cameras directly from ie on any machine?

So many questions i know

Dynamic IP support, or HTTP support depends on the DVR, they are all different. The router such as a Linksys can run the DDNS also, thats how I do it, i enter my user name and pass in the router. So the router stays on all the t ime, and i port forward to the DVR. If the DVR supports HTTP then it will just work in IE, otherwise if using the software and ports are forwarded correctly, then the software will just connect also.

Like i said, it depends, all DVRs are different, well most of them

The Ipaq will always require software installed on it for it to work with the DVR, and not many DVRs have Pocket PC software.

Well pieces are falling into place!

Rory and Marcus have been immense in their help

Finally got the Kodicom to work and even on the Ipaq!

Had no manual for the pda software but after a web crawl found a pdf(127 pages) which pointed me in the right direction.

At the foot of the pdf(would be) there was a note saying use password 1234 instead of the password setup in site software and bang, crystal clear images at 7fps

The final hurdle of my cctv quest is remote viewing,i realise i have to portforward my router to direct me to the pc on the lan, so when i remotely type in my outside ip the router directs me to the dvr machine.

I have tried this and all i can get is my router setup page!

So close and .....well you can guess the rest

You have to port forward port 80 for a HTTP server, if in fact the Kodicom card has one. Routers normally use port 8080.

if the router uses port 8080, and so does the HTTP server, then you need to change the HTTP server to port 80, and forward that port. You could also use port 81, but youd need to enter :81 after the IP and forward that instead. Port 80, IE will recognise it by default without entering the port.

The client software uses port 8080 and 8081, the apache server on it will use port 80. If you can forward all those ports to the dvr, you should be in business...

Just for fun here is all the ports that a Kodicom system uses...

Other than the first 3 I don't remember what all their uses are for, just that some are for audio and some for other functions that I don't use.

-Marcus