chaos

help now running pos over cat 5 wireing DOES NOT WORK

yes im just finally getting around to this i started several months ago dvr works great aver. 6240exp. ok i think im over complicating this but ive fought it for over 25 hours and i would love to kick the s$%#T OUT OF EVERTYHING . digital dinning pos system serial out ive got a avermedia pos interface but i dont think i need it. im useing rj-45 to serial adapaters using the wiring configuration on avermedias website should i do this on both ends on only one end or just straight. the run is about 50ft. and only one pos system connot get anything when i run the test program PLEASE HELP

THANKS BRIAN

Try connecting your cable to a computer with a serial port (or using a serial/USB adapter), fire up HyperTerminal or other terminal app, and see if you can see the incoming data. You'll probably have to tell the terminal to "connect". If the wiring is right, you should at least see gibberish, even if the comm parameters are wrong.

I would assume the POS is using straight RS-232C? Does the DVR use a standard DB9M serial port? You should be connected to pins 2 and 5 on that...

yes im just finally getting around to this i started several months ago dvr works great aver. 6240exp. ok i think im over complicating this but ive fought it for over 25 hours and i would love to kick the s$%#T OUT OF EVERTYHING . digital dinning pos system serial out ive got a avermedia pos interface but i dont think i need it. im useing rj-45 to serial adapaters using the wiring configuration on avermedias website should i do this on both ends on only one end or just straight. the run is about 50ft. and only one pos system connot get anything when i run the test program PLEASE HELP

THANKS BRIAN

Hi chaos. were are you getting your data from i.e poll display or printer. and you will need the pos box.

im getting my info from the printer feed off the pos. i was reading avermedias 5 diffrent ways to get the pos. info. ive tried almost everyone i think the main problem im having is because im running cat5 cables and doing rj-45 to serial adapters and i dont think im doing the right wiring configuration. this cant be that hard

thanks brian

im getting my info from the printer feed off the pos. i was reading avermedias 5 diffrent ways to get the pos. info. ive tried almost everyone i think the main problem im having is because im running cat5 cables and doing rj-45 to serial adapters and i dont think im doing the right wiring configuration. this cant be that hard

thanks brian

Hi brian. are you seeing your serial adaptor in your com port set up ??? some adaptors will not do the job this is why aver recommend moxa eaither usb or rs485. as the software is built in

2009020310040957.jpg

2009020310075428.jpg

no im not seeing my serial adapter but mine isnt as fancy as that just a simple rj-45 to serial adapter why would i need something as fancy as that its just signal out and signal in. it seems like trying to kill a fly with a sledgehammer. how about this im running 8 wires the serial runs 9 wires can i leave one out and still pick up the text output i cant belive i need all 9 wires

thanks brian

no im not seeing my serial adapter but mine isnt as fancy as that just a simple rj-45 to serial adapter why would i need something as fancy as that its just signal out and signal in. it seems like trying to kill a fly with a sledgehammer. how about this im running 8 wires the serial runs 9 wires can i leave one out and still pick up the text output i cant belive i need all 9 wires

thanks brian

you need to see each adaptor in com port. cash reg 1 com2 cash reg 2 com3 and so on. you need a serial adapter that you can pick up in com ports. and not all will do that. or if your cash reg are on a network use utp tcp settings (only on 7.7 software) which aver are you using ???

THANKS BRIAN

Has the till got an ethernet connection, we have succeeded in connecting through TCP and UDP, you will need the help of your till supplier to send the pos data to a port then pick it up on the aver. Avermedia have only recently released the tcp in their latest software so you may need to upgrade the software on your machine. We have a permanent display with a udp pos simulator permanently running, we also demonstrate alarms when the word void is pressed, this pops the screen, speaks the words "void is detected" and send an email which also contains the camera picture associated with the pos

hope this helps

regards

mark morris