rory

Anyone built a Geo DVR with a MicroATX Slim case?

Im tired of the towers, and rackmounts are so big and heavy.

1st question, anyone got a 3U Rackmount case to work? Would the Geo card even fit?

Main question, anyone used anything like this? Im thinking more for small DVRs with MicroATX mobo, a single 2TB Sata drive, onboard video. This manufacturer claims Riser card as optional but resellers in US dont sell them. Also, is it possible to get a PCI Express riser card not made for this specific case, and make it work?

http://winsis.com/viewproc.asp?id=207

128036_1.jpg

thanks.

Thanks, there is no way I am ever going to run Geo on an Atom, nor Windows 7 on an Atom for that matter .. that thing would be way too slow .. and recording frame rate would be so bad it would be better off I use a cheap avtech stand alone They also mention a Mini-ITX Case but no mention of the riser card required for that form factor. And a 30GB drive, a limited SSD at that with maybe max 10,000 writes .. for the video 8 cameras at 640x480 .. probably if lucky can get 4 hours out of that unless the video is set too slow. I dont even want to know what kind of XP systems they used in the past to think Windows 7 runs fast on an Atom, let alone Geo 8.33 which is a SlOW SLOW SLOW Application, I mean they really need to see an XP Geo 8.12 system in action that would have to blow their mind! I understand it is being used in a car and they are trying to keep the current draw down but Im afraid that is useless for any real world CCTV DVR application.

Thanks, there is no way I am ever going to run Geo on an Atom, nor Windows 7 on an Atom for that matter .. that thing would be way too slow .. and recording frame rate would be so bad it would be better off I use a cheap avtech stand alone They also mention a Mini-ITX Case but no mention of the riser card required for that form factor. And a 30GB drive, a limited SSD at that with maybe max 10,000 writes .. for the video 8 cameras at 640x480 .. probably if lucky can get 4 hours out of that unless the video is set too slow. I dont even want to know what kind of XP systems they used in the past to think Windows 7 runs fast on an Atom, let alone Geo 8.33 which is a SlOW SLOW SLOW Application, I mean they really need to see an XP Geo 8.12 system in action that would have to blow their mind! I understand it is being used in a car and they are trying to keep the current draw down but Im afraid that is useless for any real world CCTV DVR application.

2TB HDD For Video

30GB SSD for OS

2TB HDD For Video

30GB SSD for OS

Oh yeah sorry my bad on that part .. working straight through from 6am yesterday morning .

Morning...

A smallish machine that ive used with a gv800 16ch with 6 cameras on motion, v8.33

With a 300gb HD i get at d1, smart framing, about 30 days or so.

The machine cruises at around 40% when geo is logged out and around 60% on live viewing...

Works fine, never slows up, uses xp pro sp3, put 2 gig of ram, all the chassis is removable and the components

without using a screwdriver..

The 3 or 3.2ghz HT ones are the better ones, it will take pci cards sideways, has the internal space for the card...

I added a nvida agp card too for the graphics, cheap 64meg one.

It has internal IDE drive of your choice, if you fitted a second u'd have to remove the dvd drive, and prob use a external usb.

and the basic cheap machine is a compaq d510 or dc5100..

like ebay item:170489659959

i paid £30 for one, its amazing what nothing can get you!

I wouldnt use this as a pro setup but it does work, and its the smallest ive seen, and there quiet as anything..

I didnt really read a lot, seems this is talking about pc specs... but back to the original posters comment... is anybody using small cases? I have no problem using proper hardware/etc.. but right now im using a mid-tower case (about 16" heigh by 7" wide by like 16" deep) and for some clients, its just a big too big. I love em because of the airflow, but id really like another solution. Some clients have racks and im using 4U racks... do the geovision cards fit in a 3U case? If so thats one option to go by... what kind of "smaller" cases that have adequate airflow/good power supplies do some of you guys use?

Im using one of the antec cases (from newegg, comes with a power supply its about $95)

Yeah basically I am tired of towers .. racks I can build no problem but not all need that, though I also would like something smaller then 4U, especially since in most cases I am just using a microATX board anyway (not many need more then 8TB! (4x2TB) or even 4TB at that). Geovision, where is your 2U rack adapter for the Video BNCs?? LOL

I really would prefer not to use Cubes but thats where I am at right now. See combo cards come PCI express now, so any old PC with a PCI riser card wont work, has to be, PCI Express.

the case i posted the image of, has the option of a riser card, if enough of us are interested I am sure they would provide a riser card for PCI express ..

Also, there is no way I would ever give a client a P4 with 8.3+, it is just too slow for that.