omer78

PZ Help integrate an ACM-1231 camera with my configuration

hey friends, my current configuration includes DVR PC connected to my lan via WRT54G linksys router, the OS is WIN7.

On my pc i have a GEOVISION v8.3.4.0 Software and GEOVISION GV-800 BNC CARD.

At the moment i'm using 4x analog cameras and everything works well.

I'm interested in purchasing an IP camera in the next few days, i guess it would be the ACTi, ACM-1231.

My question is, in order to use the POE camera feature, is it OK if i will add the following WAPPOE12 (Linksys POE Injector) and use it like in the diagram bellow ?

128230_1.jpg

Has anyone is using this configuration or similar?

Will it work or i'm forgetting something, i don't want to make mistakes....

Thx for all your help so far.

Omer

Are you trying to power the AP with POE or the camera? The diagram you posted will not work to power the camera you will be powering the AP with the injector and splitter. All you need to power the camera is the POE injector, AP and camera.

Hey, i see what i did, but with the configuration on the diagram i looks that the AP is getting power from the splitter but also power is transmitted to the injector that provides power to the camera. please correct me if im wrong.

for my situation, the AP is already powered up by it's own AC so maybe i dont need it at all and i can just use the injector, that's what you said ?

can i use another POE device, or this one will work with the ACM-1321 camera.

the reason i need the POE feature is that the place im mounting the camera is outside the window and there is no power on this location (outside the building)

thx!

All you need to use is the Linksys PoE Base unit in your diagram. You can plug it in where ever it's convenient (camera end, AP end or anywhere in between) as long as it's within the 100 meter limit. The Terminal unit is not required

Hi, Just to make it clear, the base unit in the diagram is the unit on the left side, called injector which means one side go's to the camera, and the other side go to the AC to enable POE and also to my LAN (AP).

Btw, anyone out there uses something like this as well ?, the truth is that i don't really like Linksys due to the mid range quality of there products line...

Is there any better suggestion for a POE injector that will get my ACM-1321 to work properly?

I know that the POE injector output is 12V but is it enough, shouldn't i pay attention to the mA output, i'm sure that the ACM-1321 needs at least 1000mA adapter, am i right ?

Thx guys !

Correct. All you need is the Injector part. As for your voltage/current requirements, the injector should be providing 5VDC, 2.5A or 12VDC, 1A so you should be OK.

The Acti camera will use standard 802.3af PoE injectors at 48 volts. I tend to use injectors from Phihong, ones from PowerDsine are also good.

I don't think the Acti camera will power up with under 48 volt on PoE lines, unless you use the remote end unit from the Linksys module to power the camera on it's seperate power terminals (not necessary, if you use a standard 802.3af power injector)

The Linksys unit is NOT standard 802.3af compliant, and will probably not power the camera directly.

Just get a PoE switch, and don't mess with injectors. The camera is designed to take a standard PoE 48V.

I'm using a Cisco/Linksys PoE switch with that exact camera:

128363_1.jpg

128363_2.jpg

I also use a PoE switch for testing... a slightly different model:

128363_3.jpg

I tried one of the D-link injectors (probably similar price-point to the Linksys), and it didn't even last a year. Stick with actual switches, and I think you'll be much happier.

The Linksys unit is NOT standard 802.3af compliant, and will probably not power the camera directly.

The Linksys will power your camera without difficulty. When the question was asked regarding 12VDC, I inadvertently refered to the output of the Terminal unit. The Base unit, which is all omer needs, supplies 48 volts/400ma (over 19 watts excluding loss). More than enough to power any Class 0 thru 3 IP device.

Using switches would be the way to go for multiple IP's but for 1 or 2 I prefer the injectors. I've also seen problems where some IP's act a little flaky when they receive PoE near the 100 meter limit and had to power them locally. As for reliability, we have several Mobotix on injectors that have been running for almost 2 years without a glitch.

I love you guys, thx for all you detailed replies.

The acm-1321 is the only ip camera i will have on my gv-800 system the total camera distance from the base PC and linksys router will be 30ft.

i thought that powering the ACM with the POE feature could be nice and i need just the unit that will power it up, do you think that the 48v/400ma linksys output will be enough for it cause i have less powerful camera that it says 800ma consumption on it.

thx again and i'll keep updating.

Best regards!

omer

I just checked the power consumption on my switch (this is from the management console), and the port that serves my Acti 1231 is currently pulling 3.6 Watts.

Now... remember that it's daytime here, and that camera will pull significantly MORE once it gets dark, and the IR LEDs turn on.

The Linksys will power your camera without difficulty. When the question was asked regarding 12VDC, I inadvertently refered to the output of the Terminal unit. The Base unit, which is all omer needs, supplies 48 volts/400ma (over 19 watts excluding loss). More than enough to power any Class 0 thru 3 IP device.

Using switches would be the way to go for multiple IP's but for 1 or 2 I prefer the injectors. I've also seen problems where some IP's act a little flaky when they receive PoE near the 100 meter limit and had to power them locally. As for reliability, we have several Mobotix on injectors that have been running for almost 2 years without a glitch.

I have that same LinkSys setup, acquired from a customer that was upgrading their AP. The "base" unit (on the left) does indeed work fine to power a PoE camera, but the PoE IS only available on the port as shown. The power supply included is actually 48VDC output; the "receiver" unit steps it down to 12VDC on a standard barrel plug.

Actually, the problem with that diagram is, the access point is NOT the same a router, and the network as shown is not actually connected to anything else. Where the camera is, should be a router or switch on the main network.

If you guys tried the linksys injector i specified and it can power up a single ACM1321 camera that is all i need.

i will go ahead and get it, and of course will use only the injector unit.

If you can recommend another POE injector model that will work that can help cause it look that i'm buying a product and use only half of it, i don't care but if there is an injector only out there i would be happy to know the brand.

just for the info, i saw an eBay auction for the ACM-1321 and the seller adds a POE injector to the auction, he says the is sells it as a kit, i hope he will answer my Q asking what brand is the injector....

i'll keep you update !

Greetings !

I've had an IQ511 running off one of these for months.

Hi soundy, you are powering your IQ511 with one of these what ?

You can also use a Dlink DWL-P200. (Think it's the same as the Linksys)

Check the pricing.

You can also use a Dlink DWL-P200. (Think it's the same as the Linksys)

Check the pricing.

I'll check it right away, again appreciate your response!

Just received that email from the seller on eBay, he uses the following POE injector to power up the ACM-1321

That He is also selling on the same auction. maybe i'll go with that one what do you say guys?

It's only one unit comparing to the linksys product and cost about $30 on eBay.

128464_1.jpg

Just received that email from the seller on eBay, he uses the following POE injector to power up the ACM-1321

That He is also selling on the same auction. maybe i'll go with that one what do you say guys?

It's only one unit comparing to the linksys product and cost about $30 on eBay.

128464_1.jpg

3com makes a very similar unit, designed specifically for the purpose, and it can be had for the same price point. I use one such unit for testing, and it works like a charm.

http://cgi.ebay.com/3Com-3CNJPSE-802-3af-Power-over-Ethernet-PoE-Midspan-PS-/290440253190?cmd=ViewItem&pt=COMP_EN_Networking_Components&hash=item439f968f06

That 3Com unit look sweet, but do you think that 48V DC, 400 mA out will be enough for powering the ACM-1231 ?

How much mA the camera really needs?

Well, that's 19.2W... stepped down to 12V (and assuming 100% efficiency, granted), that's 1.2A available.

Well, that's 19.2W... stepped down to 12V (and assuming 100% efficiency, granted), that's 1.2A available.

Can you please make it more simple for me, i didn't understand your explanation...

The camera uses 12V so if i have a48V injector output with 400mA the camera takes only when it needs ?