rory

2TB hard drives and 5.25" enclosures/backplane

Im seeing some sites, well at least one, quoting only 1TB drives for their rack cases, no 2TBs at all. Any idea why they arent using 2TB, like if they get too hot? The enclosures (they call them backplanes?) im going to use for example have a fan. Im talking about something like this:

128331_1.jpg

Im seeing some sites, well at least one, quoting only 1TB drives for their rack cases, no 2TBs at all. Any idea why they arent using 2TB, like if they get too hot? The enclosures (they call them backplanes?) im going to use for example have a fan. Im talking about something like this:

how about this

StarTech SAT3540U2E 4 Drive eSATA USB Multi Bay External Hard Drive Enclosure

MAX Drive Capacity: 2.0 TeraBytes x 4 Drives - Total 8 TeraBytes

how about this

Thanks. Nice, but not for this app. Im trying to find out why some are only quoting 1TB instead of 2TB, and if anyone else has used 2TB in the type i posted above.

how about this

Thanks. Nice, but not for this app. Im trying to find out why some are only quoting 1TB instead of 2TB, and if anyone else has used 2TB in the type i posted above.

Price and old firmware I think

Which company u talking about ?

Just wondering now .. there shouldnt be any limit on the HDD size right? I figure if its being sold now the firmware on their board should support 2TB?

ok i read somewhere just now about one of these from another brand, and they say they accept 3x 2TB drives but only a max of 3TB .. now im lost! So maybe the max on these are only 3TB .. ?

Just wondering now .. there shouldnt be any limit on the HDD size right? I figure if its being sold now the firmware on their board should support 2TB?

I guess its depend what are they using inside "their own custom build"

They may have lots of units in stock and lots of other reasons

and lets face it how many "dealers" ask or know what to ask

All of these look like "dumb" units (ie. no intelligent processing like onboard RAID or anything, thus no actual firmware) so the only reason I could think of that any would have a drive size limitation is if the USB-to-SATA host controller it's using has a size limitation.

Beyond that, it's possible that the ad copy is just so old, 1TB or 1.5TB was the largest drive available when it was written...

On something like that, I'm guessing Soundy's right, and those were just the largest drives available at the time. Could be firmware limits, though.

I've started using the 2TB drives now, hoping they are not time bombs like some early 1.5's I used

BTW, I've been using Norco cases (RPC800, mostly) for my DVR/NVR builds for several years now, and they work pretty well, good airflow, nice looking, and a decent price.

On something like that, I'm guessing Soundy's right, and those were just the largest drives available at the time. Could be firmware limits, though.

I've started using the 2TB drives now, hoping they are not time bombs like some early 1.5's I used

BTW, I've been using Norco cases (RPC800, mostly) for my DVR/NVR builds for several years now, and they work pretty well, good airflow, nice looking, and a decent price.

Thanks, yeah the price is really good on their rack mounts.

Anyway I dont think im going to use those backplane things anyway, I just had one with a fan that went bad, and could not find a fan to fit it anywhere on this island, so scrapped it and put the 2 x 1TB HDDs internal and rigged an 80mm fan to cool them.