akelley

Anyone have experience with GrandEye 5MP 360 degree cameras?

These seem to be very similar to Mobotix Q24 (but 5MP instead of 3MP). Anyone have any experience with this company and its products? They don't do in camera recording like Mobotix, but the cameras appear interesting to say the least.

http://www.grandeye.com/360.html

Grandeye's cameras are now being marketed by Oncam Global; Grandeye is their technical arm. In a nutshell, the Oncam camera has higher resolution (5 MP vs. 3 MP), better low light performance, and a smaller exposed profile for covert installations. The motion tracking feature works well and is a key reason to buy this camera. The Mobotix Q24 is good for exterior applications and includes audio. I don’t use the advanced features like VOIP or record on camera so they are less important to me. A full comparison of both cameras is posted at http://www.watchpointvideo.com/testing/testing.htm. Incidentally, Oncam sells direct to system integrators. The Web site is http://www.oncamglobal.us.

Looks interesting, whats the retail price, or can you PM me a dealer price?

Thanks.

Not familiar with GrandEye and it looks like a good camera, but the key selling point, at least for me on Mobotix is decentralized approach and having the NVR software built into each camera and being able to write to local storage and/or a NAS. Does GrandEye have some similar to this?

How much storage can the onboard hold though? and is it video or just images?

Interesting information on the OnCam cameras. The report (PDF) that's up on the site mentioned in rfinger's post is definitely pro OnCam, and I would be interested to hear some people who have Mobotix experience address some of the shortcomings that the report points out.

Rfinger, are you an OnCam distributor? Also, couldn't find any pricing information on the website. Can you provide any such info?

Strange! This camera has been sold by another company under another name in 2007 already. Maybe even earlier. It was called the Vista Eclipse.

See here:

http://www.norbain.com/news/ref:N4289A64EDB2EE/

The retail price in 2008 was 1195 GBP for the camera and 995 GBP for the DVR with 400 GB storage.

The camera is now discontinued. I wonder why. Maybe just not enough interest by the customers.

Edit: This was the 3MP version with the analogue outputs

Mobotix can do Images video and/or audio. You can use SD cards, USB jump drives or hard drives plugged into the camera. So you could hook up a 2TB directly to the camera and get alot of storage!!

Mobotix can do Images video and/or audio. You can use SD cards, USB jump drives or hard drives plugged into the camera. So you could hook up a 2TB directly to the camera and get alot of storage!!

Would the HDD be NAS or USB or other?

Also does that slow down the video and if so by how much?

thanks.

Would the HDD be NAS or USB or other?

Also does that slow down the video and if so by how much?

thanks.

Could be USB directly to the camera, a network share on a computer or a NAS.

No slow down in video.