programmergeek

video blum?

I have been doing network camera axis and panasonic and have been happy but now I have a install that i need to do some analog cameras. I think I would perfer to run a cat5e to future proof. If I do this I can use video blums correct?

What is a decent not to expensive brand/model to use?

I believe you're referring to a *balun*, which is a device which matches a balanced line (in this case, the UTP of a CAT5 cable) to an unbalanced line, in this case, the 75 ohm coaxial cable.

I also found myself in a similar situation needing a video balun . However there's a real lack of comparison data out there as to who makes the best. I'm tempted to do some sampling and testing myself, but it's not a high priority and I don't have the right equipment offhand.

I ended up getting a ten pack of baluns from a local security shop--who I won't purchase from there again due to their less than stellar attitude.

Good luck! I think this is a subject worth discussing.

I did some testing recently with a number of baluns, ranging from some cheapie GEM units that run about $15/pair, to some surge-protected NVT models that run about $40 *each*, and a few in between (most in the $20/each range). I connected a CNB dome to one end, a Vigil DVR to the other, and about 120m (around 400') of Cat5e still coiled in its box in between...

Honestly, there was very little noticeable difference across any of them. The only really visible difference was that the cheapie-cheapie ones had some rust on the screw terminals that seemed to have an intermittently detrimental effect on the connection... but at the same time, one of the $20 GVI's appeared to have a spotty BNC connection that caused some noise and color shifting when I moved the balun around.

Overall, it looked like the price differences were mainly accounted for in construction quality (I have had a few of the $15/pair ones fail in the field), plus the better ones had more convenient tool-less connections; the screw terminals on the cheaper ones tend to be a real pain to use.

We use mainly GEM and GVI - same price range, both tool-less (cheapie-cheapie ones notwithstanding), both work just fine.

Thank you for the comments about your experiences! This is exactly the kind of information I'm looking for.

I have some additional camera installs I want to do, and the only cabling I have already in place is CAT5e.