ash

DVR040 wont detect HDD

Hello,

I have a DVR040 for about a year now. Initially it had a 250 GB (IDE) drive in it. This drive went bad some time back. This time i got a (new) 160 GB drive. In both cases, the brand was WD (Western Digital).

For some reason the DVR wont recognize this new drive and it keeps showing me 'No HDD' found. I've changed the IDE cables, checked the master/slave jumpers but no luck so far. Since this was a packed new drive i dont think it should have any issue with the drive formatting.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

ashir

I never worked with the DVR040, but I would have thought it would have been a Sata drive.

Check the voltages on the power input to the hard drive. It may not be getting the 12 volts. There is a relay on other models, and I am thinking that this may have the same circuit. If the relay, or the control to the relay does not energize the hard drive then it would appear as a dead hard drive.

Connect power to the hard drive and see if it comes alive.

For those who wish to become techs then get this tool.

http://www.manhattan-products.com/en-US/products/6706-hi-speed-usb-2-0-to-sata-ide-adapter

This is a great tool for computer use, and DVR hard drive use.

It has Sata, IDE, and laptop IDE connectors. This kit also has an IDE power connector. Plug in the 12 volt brick power supply to the DVR hard drive, and you can test for power issues!

Hi Scorpion,

Sorry for not responding earlier. Really appreciate your comments and guidance. The DVR040 that i have supports IDE drive only. When i bought it i got a SATA drive and then had to buy a IDE/SATA converter for it - but the converter didnt fit in. So i had to buy an IDE drive then.

The new IDE is detectable on a PC. I have given it to the people whom i bought it from and will pass your comments to them as well. One question though, i noted there is a battery on the circuit board, i remember when my previous hard drive was going south, and i was hard booting the system, i further also tried to take that battery out and then put back in. It seems to be back in place but i was wondering if that would cause some issue.

Thanks again and best regards,

ashir

The job of the battery is to remember the date time group.

If the battery goes dead then the DVR defaults to factory setting of the date and time.

Have you measured the voltage to the hard drive to see if it is powered up?