serbokl

phone image color different than image viewed on computer

Colorwise the smart phone picture I get from one ip camera looks exactly like the one I see on 2 different computers. Whereas the pictures I get from two wired cameras feeding a DVR have completely different color rendition on the phone but are OK on the computers. The phone has great colors on everything except for the stuff coming from the DVR. I don't think naming brands involved should matter very much. If nothing else, isn't this sort of weird and/or interesting? Any ideas? Thanks.

The DVR is probably recompressing the video and possibly reducing the color depth as well, specifically for the remote feed. Many DVRs do this to reduce bandwidth requirements.

Nothing weird about it, and yes, it is somewhat dependent on brand.

The DVR is probably recompressing the video and possibly reducing the color depth as well, specifically for the remote feed. Many DVRs do this to reduce bandwidth requirements.

Nothing weird about it, and yes, it is somewhat dependent on brand.

Thanks for your comment. I probably should have mentioned that all of the referred-to images are remote via the Internet. The DVR does have a separate set-up for the mobile phone though. It is uses the same port as the Internet browser circuit uses.

With most systems, ANY network access will be via standard Internet Protocol (IP). That includes LAN (internal business network), remote, and mobile. Usually if a DVR has separate "mobile" support, it provides for things like higher compression, resized images to fit phone displays, and a reformatted interface, also to accommodate the smaller display. In the end though, it's all via the same network ports using the same network protocols.

Of those systems that DO recompress video for remote viewing, some will actually measure the bandwidth available and adjust the compression accordingly, many will allow the user to select a bandwidth level, but most simply recompress a pre-determined amount and send that out to all remote clients, whether LAN, WAN, or mobile.

Follow-up: The video on the HTC Incredible mobile phone is now accurately rendered. It is just as good as it is on the two PC's which use Q-See provided software. This improvement occurred when the independent developer of the mobile phone program "IP Cam Viewer" made changes in the H.264 coding. IP Cam Viewer is for the Android OS and the developer takes his work seriously. He is constantly improving IP Cam Viewer. Q-See is lagging way behind in providing any software for the Android platform.