Anthony A.

NVR with spot/split screen output

would an atom based pc like 1.6ghz with 1gb ram be sufficient? how much space does a 3mp camera consume recording if its running all the time? and finally, if i use a dedicated pc running the dvr software, can i have it save the recording data on the server? will this still slow down the server?

any advice on the on this?

would an atom based pc like 1.6ghz with 1gb ram be sufficient? how much space does a 3mp camera consume recording if its running all the time? and finally, if i use a dedicated pc running the dvr software, can i have it save the recording data on the server? will this still slow down the server?

any advice on the on this?

This is all based on your NVR software. Yes there is NVR that will run on atom boxes and record multible megapixel cameras.

Hi bpzle. 7.7 does let you pick ip on tv out i have a spot monitor showing 4 sanyo ip.

and also on the new cards you have 3 vga progamable outputs (ooppps sorry you might not have these in the US yet)

Really... Which card? I haven't installed an Aver 16ch card with IP cams in a while!

Probably over kill but here is what i have done.

Qnap vs2008 nvr

to 500 dollar gateway laptop with hdmi output

to 4x4 matrix hdmi switch

to 4 plasma tv's

I can pull up cameras any tv. with wireless mouse.

Probably over kill but here is what i have done.

Qnap vs2008 nvr

to 500 dollar gateway laptop with hdmi output

to 4x4 matrix hdmi switch

to 4 plasma tv's

I can pull up cameras any tv. with wireless mouse.

Sounds like a slick little setup!

Im looking for an NVR for use with IP cameras that provides an output that can be watched on a TV. What are my options? I have always used analog cameras and used a coax run with rca end to watch the signal via composite on a tv. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

go with a Geovision DVR, you can use either CCTV cameras OR IP Cameras.

Geovision Rules!!

thank you all for the replies. i will look into geovision and qnap. the hdmi matrix switch is something i had in mind that would work beautifully, but since i only ran cat6 and coax to each location, it would cost me a fortune to buy cat6 to hdmi baluns and then use a matrix. im thinking of just buying a small form pc such as the asus eeebox for each tv (can be had for around $200) and just leave the pc with a webbrowser open to the nvr screen. that way, all i have to do is switch inputs on any tv to the pc, and the pc will have the webpage already opened for viewing the video feed. i think its the cheapest solution for me at the moment. not elegant, but it works and i can use the pc for youtube, etc.

after some more research, i finally found a matrix switch that will work with a single cat6 cable.

http://www.hdtvsupply.com/hdmi-splitter-over-cat5.html

so here is what im thinking. i will have the nvr software running on my newly built server. i rarely use it and it case the new core i7 processor from intel at 3ghz. a lot of power for recording and multitasking i would think. i already have a 2tb drive in there that i can have dedicated to the recordings. in my equipment closet, i will use the matrix switch posted above and have a small form factor pc such as the asus eeebox plugged into the source input. from there, the pc can be output to 8 tv's using cat6 cable. the pc will have either a client window open or the web browser. i think this is a more elegant solution that having to buy a pc for every tv i want to have camera access on.

any thoughts on this setup and which nvr software is good? thanks.

PS. is there any way to control the nvr software using a universal remote control?

In the HTPC world we use a free product (Open Source) called Event Ghost which allows user configurable macros to control just about anything in Windows via IR and wireless remote controls. You can even use it for home automation via the X10 protocol. So conceivably you could trigger alarms, send PTZ commands via serial interface, turn on/off lights/cameras, HVAC control, etc. all from a remote control. Can't guarantee that it will work with all (or any for that matter) NVRs, but it's a free product and worth a look.

Check it out here.

PS. is there any way to control the nvr software using a universal remote control?