faster340

Multi-site dvr management

I am sure this topic has been beat to death. I have multiple sites with DVR's and am looking for some kind of client that can handle that. The manufacturer has been no help so far and applications I have dl'd have not done what I need.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks.

Russell

The problem is, most DVRs have proprietary remote-client/CMS/VMS protocols and you can only use their own software for that purpose. If you have multiple different brands of DVRs, you're probably SOL for having everything handled in one program; you may have to run multiple apps and just find a way to lay them all out on one screen (or maybe two or three screens using multiple video heads). The best bet is if the DVRs all have web viewers and you can load them up in multiple tabs of a single browser window.

What brand/models of DVRs are we talking about here?

Maybe if I could find a way to view multiple tabs at once in the browser that might make the customer happy....

It's likely the only thing that would make the customer "happy" is better DVRs... *ahem* but notwithstanding that, if the web client will work with Firefox, there ARE a number of add-ons that will tile multiple tabs in one window. Here's just one: http://www.firefoxfacts.com/2010/05/25/tile-your-firefox-tabs-in-the-browser/

I couldn't find anything for IE... if the viewer only works in IE, you might be able to combine a tiling extension for FF with the IE Tab extension...

Well the customer wants price over quality most of the time. Gotta give them what they want...

I found an awesome browser that displays multiple pages at once. It's really cool... It's based on the IE engine but has cooler features and easier ways to turn off all those annoying security issues like activex and java and scripts which these DVR web browsers use.

Avant Browser...

http://www.avantbrowser.com/

This just solved my problem here in so many ways!!!!!!!!!!

lol he's got no choice. This is it! Besides I can make it look like a client application and have the multiple sites all open on one page at one time as the home page. So when he opens this browser he will be presented with the logins for his 6 sites. Maybe I can make a macro or something to fill that data in automatically or something. This little browser can do a lot... Wow surprised I never found this before...

if it has activeX for the browser you can also just make your own multisite browser based app.

just add multiple activeX controls into a basic HTML webpage, it can be something as simple as just creating a new text document and renaming it as an HTML or HTM (or even HTA page to load on windows startup) and editing the text with the activeX and javascript, then saving it to your desktop or somewhere else locally, no hosting is required.

here is an example with another DVR:

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=12027

In some cases the activeX is a single 16 channel view .. depending on how heavy it is, if it allows you to resize it and only do 1 single camera then you can do it that way and add multiple ones of that, or you might just have to use the 16 way views and work it it like that, eg. 16 next to 16 and then 2 16's below it etc etc .. other cases it could be a single camera for each activeX such as with Geovision, depends on the ActiveX. Additionally the activeX MAY have additional GUI such as buttons etc though in many cases they add that in the HTML manually leaving the ActiveX to be only video.

Lastly once you get that working and understand how the connections go etc (you can just go through their javascript or vbscript to see what functions etc they use to connect), if you are good with programming in for example Visual basic you could make a client app using the ActiveX also, I use simple old VB6 myself and ActiveX controls for a couple apps

In some cases the activeX is a single 16 channel view .. depending on how heavy it is, if it allows you to resize it and only do 1 single camera then you can do it that way and add multiple ones of that, or you might just have to use the 16 way views and work it it like that, eg. 16 next to 16 and then 2 16's below it etc etc .. other cases it could be a single camera for each activeX such as with Geovision, depends on the ActiveX. Additionally the activeX MAY have additional GUI such as buttons etc though in many cases they add that in the HTML manually leaving the ActiveX to be only video.

Rory just curios

Do u take apart "ActiveX"

and recompile again ?

for whatever reason

Rory just curios

and recompile again ?

for whatever reason

No. I use it as it is, utilizing its internal methods and events. If there is something it cant do then i do it myself outside of the activeX. All I need it for is the video feed, connect, view live video, disconnect. The events are also very useful but I can still work without it.

Rory just curios

and recompile again ?

for whatever reason

No. I use it as it is, utilizing its internal methods and events. If there is something it cant do then i do it myself outside of the activeX. All I need it for is the video feed, connect, view live video, disconnect. The events are also very useful but I can still work without it.

I see. Thanks

few times I have done it just for fun

change few pix inside and recompile back

lost digital sign

but that ok

always can sign later again if need it

I see. Thanks

few times I have done it just for fun

change few pix inside and recompile back

lost digital sign

but that ok

always can sign later again if need it

Yeah I know how to do that, I have all the tools, have done that with other things such as my own software, but I have no need to alter the resources of the activeX.