Sign in to follow this  
gilray

AMG Systems - 5000 series Problems

I've had problems with using Bosch cameras with AMG Systems 5000 Series products where the is no video signal received over the fibre optic cable.

On investigation it would seem that there is a firmware problem with this product that affects some cameras, particularly if there is a bit of a low composite video signal. Apparently there is a firmware fix but AMG have not done a general recal to fix affected products and there is no capability to download firmaware and upgrade the product yourself.

I have seen another manifestation of this problem with Axis cameras where you get horizontal bars and sensitivity to strong light causing again loss of video.

Although the AMG 5000 series doesn't seem quite as difficult to get RS422/485 working as some of there products and they have at least provided termination resistors (unlike 3000/4000 where you have to attempt to splice into the cable connected to the RJ45 connected), they seem to be a bit of an afterthought being just screwed into the connector termnal block making it prone to intermittent and loose connection of signal wire or resistor.

This product is still under development with the audio capability, contacts in/out and multiple serial ports still to come on line. History would suggest that there could be more problems around the corner when this happens as another daughter board is incorporated and the firmware changed and I suspect it may suffer from a lack of comprehensive testing before it is released.

So beware - if you are thinking of specifying/using this product, make sure it works with your cameras before you get too committed and beware of a raft of new problems when they start releasing the new features for multiple serial ports and audio in/out and contacts.