programmergeek

Geovision 1240 card + home automation PC, can 1 pc do it all

Our current gole is to build a pc that will house a Geovision 1240 card with about 13 cameras connected to it. The pc will also run the HAI WL II software which is basically a web server connected to a automation pannel and also home seer and CQC two other home automation pieces of software..

Can one PC do this? The only heavy software is the Geovision. Or is geovision that heavy? We also want the minium power consumption. Has anyone one else tried putting other software on to a geovision box? I hate to run 2 pc's 24/7 if I don't have to.

i run my gv800, homeseer, and hd sat tv on my one computer 24/7 no problem.

e8400cpu,2gb ram, ati 2400pro, win7 32bit.

cpu=50% when playing hd video, 25% sd video.

ram=40% use playing video.

i use dexpot and a hot key to switch between tv screen and geovision.

I really do think you can likely do this.....but I don't (although I might). Only two POSSIBLE issues might pop up.

1) If you use SageTV for a DVR solution, I have heard that SageTV MIGHT play badly with your Geo CCTV. 2) Since HA is "nice, but not essential", and security is "essential" in my way of thinking, I put my Geo on a standalone box with very little else. I very much wanted to limit anything that might cause it to go down.

Good luck to you.

I aggree but we use elk and HAI for security on a stand alone pannel so the home automation part is that home automation. I hate to run 2 pc and eat the extra power if we don't have to this is a 24/7 load in our show "green house" that is going to be NJ energy star rated so I am counting every kilowhatt.