JeffWasHere

Newbie Here :) tryin to build a system

Well first off great forums here i have been trying to learn about cctv for the last 12 hours lol and i am about to pass out!

Pretty much i am trying to start a small business installing somewhat simple cctv dvr's in peoples home for all the reasons... recording, internet viewing, etc... i was really hoping to be able to get a 3 camera system with dvr for around $300us.. i see it is possible when going with some of these zmodo products.

I have learned reading here that u definetly want a dvr that is at least pentaplex and can record in d1.. hope im not breaking a rule here but it seems this package has these http://cgi.ebay.com/4-Channel-CCTV-Surveillance-Security-DVR-Camera-System-/180511751403?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a0756bceb So guess im wondering if this would be a decent buy? is the recording software any good?

I notice the cameras are 1/4" sony ccd...... Am i correct in assuming that a 1/3" sony ccd is better? and i think i gathered that tvlines dont matter?

Anyways Me and a partner are serious about starting this business. If anyone can help me with a distributor that could possibly make a deal.. i would always get my kits from them. We already have multiple people who want us to install them.

I am somewhat familiar with recording software as i use Blueiris on my home pc with multiple webcams/ipcams but i realize the difficulty of most people being able to maintain a pc so i would rather use a dvr.

Thanks very much for any help!

Jeff

Let me first say, welcome to the forum!

Look, I've been in your posistion. I've been there done that. Cheap Chinese crap are not products ANYONE should buy, much less base a business on.

I know you probably have your mind made up... but this stuff is cheap for a reason. Installing cheap crap will only make YOU look bad. You're not going to get referrals because when something happens on a customer's property and they review the footage, they are not going to be happy. Nothing will be there but blurry, grainy footage.

I've tested equipment like that, it's all the same. They all have unbelievable spec sheets at unbelievable prices.

Just buy a few samples. You'll see what I'm talking about. But don't risk your reputation by installing it for a customer.

Thank you very much... that is what i was starting to gather about that stuff when i learned about d1 or the recording resolution. And it also seems i should use 1/3" sony ccd &dsp. And the need to have a good dvr with good software. I have been reading alot at cctv42 i am going to assume these guys know what they are talking about and seem to offer a good line of products at very reasonable prices.... and it looks as if i could get a decent 3 camera system package from them including the dvr for around 350-400euro or 450-500us dollars+vat (which i dont know the percentage). Does Anyone have expeirence with the software of this company?

Does this software have the capability of using a smtp server to send a snapshot of what caused the motion trigger? Im assuming it has masking for roadways etc..? does it have multilpe profile settings for motion detection per camera?

I could prolly get a hd cheaper here... does anyone know if it is difficult to format these hd's to work with the dvr?

If anyone knows where to get these same quality products in the US please let me know.. And cheaper prices are always good:)

Thanks again for any help!

Never heard of them... but I see a lot of the same snares as most the other Chinese crap.

If one of the biggest selling points is a "Sony 1/3" Sensor!" I'd look a little closer.

To the trained eye, this means next to nothing.

the dvr will format the drive into its own format.

as an amateur who has started with cheap crap (i would say moderately expensive crap) a lot of what you see for sale will leave you disappointed.

i think the big problem is expectation. people expect far more for the price than what they generally get. they don't realise how poor the quality is until after they get robbed. they get plenty of footage on HOW it was done but not any footage of WHO.

there is certainly a market for the cheaper stuff, even if its good 2nd hand gear. lower quality gear can be used, IF its used in the right place. eg at close range with consistent light like a hall way, rather than trying to view an entire yard.

the problem of course at the low end there is so much rubbish, you really need to know your stuff and test an awful lot of gear to find gear that is good enough.

the problem i have here is lots of crowds are selling top end or bottom end crap. its hard to find reasonable gear at reasonable prices.

Hey thanks again.

Well is there a online store u would recommend?

And i guess im wondering what i should know about a camera??

Is 1/3 sony ccd and dsp a good recommendation?

And well it seems for larger areas i would use a 3.6mm lens with less detail and 8mm to 12mm for closer and more detail. Dont think i would need focusable lens's as i would just choose through my selection to fit what the customer needs.

This is just going to be for home uses mostly and not so much focused on business's.

Is there a certain dvr you would recommend that you know has the software to do the things i stated above?

Thanks

Jeff

Is 1/3 sony ccd and dsp a good recommendation?

And well it seems for larger areas i would use a 3.6mm lens with less detail and 8mm to 12mm for closer and more detail. Dont think i would need focusable lens's as i would just choose through my selection to fit what the customer needs...........

1/3 sony ccd means bugger all and you have no way of knowing what CCD is actually used. the DSP used is important and very rarely ever mentioned. you won't know without taking it apart, assuming the chip is correctly marked and not a knock off.

you will need to do your homework on all the various DSP's in the market place and the differences they make.

end of the day you still need to test them to find out what they are like.

lens, variable is easier both from installation and businesses point of view. easier to install, no need to have a box full of different lens, you have less excess stock and end up with less old stock.

as i'm finding, even from an amateur point of view, there is a lot to learn, lots of little things and if your doing it for the budget market it will be a lot of work for bugger all income.