programmergeek

ptz with geovision cards, also mpx cameras.

Quick question how does the geovision cards control PTZ? If I have 4 PTZ can I control them what if my pc doesn't have serial connectors?

Also can the geovision cards handle mpx cameras? Is ther eanything special I need to know other than more disk space used.

I believe you will need a GV NET I/O card for PTZ control via RS-485 (how most PTZ's are controlled)

link is here:

http://www.geovision.com.tw/english/3_1_Accessory.asp

With my older NET I/O card you used to need a USB to serial adapter. The serial 232 would then get turned in RS-485 via the NET I/O card.

However, it looks like the newer NET I/O cards have a USB connection already on them. I would guess that this USB connection then gets converted to RS-485 to "speak" to the individually addressed RS-485 cameras.

The newer cards give you either a USB header (which i use, the usb connects inside the pc case) and a USB cable that connecst to the gv-net board.

I prefer internal connection, it doesnt "disapear" but if i forget i still use the external usb as a backup.

Keep in mind you need 1 gv-net card (or the com box? i think its called) per PTZ type (at least in my experience, i couldnt run two different kind of ptz protocols with 1 expansion device).

Being its all usb, its all limited to the amount of usb ports you can have (and that maxes out over 100 with usb hubs and all)

So basically you have your DVR. Then theres a GV-net card (looks like a pci card, but it doesnt plug into the motherboard, it just sits there, it connects via usb and gets power via an internal floppy power cable). Then you connect your ptz (data wires/485 whatever you call it) to the card (theres a + and - on the card).