Sign in to follow this  
buellwinkle

ACTI 1231 questions

I just got my Acti 1231 and had some questions that are not very clear in the manuals. Would appreciate help from folks that have this camera.

1. focus and vari-focal controls are really stiff, I'm afraid of damaging the camera, is this normal? Any tips?

2. the ends on the power and ethernet cable do not fit through the hole provided on the camera back. Any tricks on this? Will eventually use PoE, but for now, testing with the power supply.

3. when I focus the camera it looks fine, when I screw the front back on, it throws it off slightly.

I just got my Acti 1231 and had some questions that are not very clear in the manuals. Would appreciate help from folks that have this camera.

1. focus and vari-focal controls are really stiff, I'm afraid of damaging the camera, is this normal? Any tips? Make sure you loosen the controls

2. the ends on the power and ethernet cable do not fit through the hole provided on the camera back. Any tricks on this? Will eventually use PoE, but for now, testing with the power supply. you have to cut the end off and terminate the cable after you pass the wires though the grommet.

3. when I focus the camera it looks fine, when I screw the front back on, it throws it off slightly. normal adjust the focus till you get it right

If you want more 1231s I have 3 new in the box..... PM me

For those that do end up with this camera, here's what I learned

1. focus and vari-focal controls are locked down, you use a thin screwdriver on the edge of the control to losen and tighten this This was smooth when losened, but had a little spring back to it, so it was not easy to set.

2. the ends on the power and ethernet cable do not fit through the hole provided and Acti's response was to cut the wire, feed it through and put the connect on again, hmm, poor design here. I should be able to swap cables without going through this.

3. The front lens does push back a little and may throw the focus off, some playing with it makes it work out.

I'll post a full review on my blog when I'm done setting this up and satisfied that I've done all I can do with it.